How to Keep a Healthy Back: Knee to Chest Exercise Video
Back Pain Prevention
The knee to chest stretch is used to stretch your hip and low back (lumbar spine) muscles. It should also help relieve pressure on spinal nerves by creating more space for those nerves as they exit the spine.
- Start on your back.
- Gently pull one knee towards your chest, using your hands to hold your leg in the stretch.
- Hold 10 seconds. You should feel a stretch in your low back and hip.
- Switch legs and pull your other knee towards your chest, again holding 10 seconds.
- Repeat 3-5 times with each leg.
- Bring both legs to your chest, holding 10 seconds and repeating 3-5 times.
This exercise may not be appropriate for all types of pain. If you experience increased pain while doing this exercise, stop immediately and call your spine specialist. Always contact your spine specialist if you have any questions regarding your back or neck pain or about the suitability of this specific exercise.