SpineUniverse Community Advice
Get help and share your story with others who know what you're going through.
Please register or log in to join the discussions!


Started by wingbbyx3 on 07/15/2010 1:05pm

I am now a 17 year old girl who is going to be a senior in high school in about a month. I first found out I had scoliosis when went in to see the doctor when I had a cold. I told him I had pains in my knee and hip and he then did some test I guess, and told me i had Scoliosis. I have always noticed since i was around 12 that my belly button is not in the middle but a little to the side. Also how one side curves in more than the other. When I went to a real spine doctor I was 15 going to be 16. I have not seen a doctor since and my parents won't let me. They bring up excuses of how I disobey them and me doing bad things. I suffer from a lot of discomfort and my curved spine is always on top of my head. When I sit, sleep, stand, and walk I always feel uncomfortable and I can never find a comfortable position. When i got an X-ray i had a 40 degree curve. I am pretty sure than it has gotten worse and when i was at the doctors office he had said that it needs surgery. I really don't know what to do now. It affects me everyday no matter what i do. If I could I would save up every singe penny I have to fix it. Hopefully I can find some way to help it feel better or something. I really haven't done a lot of research but my one wish is to get enough money to fix it.

Do you find this discussion helpful?

1 Response


I am so sorry that you feel so alone. I urge you to look into your community resources for health care. This can be anonymous on line by searching your states health insurance options. You can also call a hotline number, because believe it or not sometimes they have legit info you can't get anywhere else, and obviously this should be confidential. You can also go to your Depart of Social Services and meet with a Social Worker who can tell you what you may or may not be eligible for. I do not know the situation with your parents and I would never judge or interfere, but if they are willing to talk about this with you, you can get help that much sooner. You should look into finding out if your curve has worsened, so you can possibly get a brace to stop any further curving. You obviously know you need to see an orthopaedic specialist for scoliosis and I recommend that you do so as soon as you are able, because they might actually know what resources are available to you. Good luck to you and please try to believe that you are not alone.