SpineUniverse Community Advice
Get help and share your story with others who know what you're going through.
Please register or log in to join the discussions!

medication strength after surgery / *for chronic pain >

Started by arlie on 12/20/2011 2:49pm

i have had two surgeries for Degenrative disk disease / oct. 2001 - oct. 2003 .
*1st. time - operated from the back on L 4,5 - S 1 / insert full hardware - fuse . *was given short term meds
short acting 05 / 325 Oxycodone & Oxycontin 20mg long acting 3 times a day to help with chronic pain level .
its never helped any better than level #4 for pain .

my question is - *is the level of pain medication *strength i take now ... on the high side , or low side ?
i keep hearing about Cymbalta for chronic pain , but its side effects are really something to deal with .
i try to keep active as can ... but this condition i have is so limiting to what i can do to move about . when iv'e
gone to the doctor-s , *rarely to ask about the possibility of a stronger med , it goes nowhere . MRI was done
recently ... orthopedic specialist said "everything looks great"... *as can be . he felt a stronger strength med
wouldnt make a difference ? so basically said *to live with it . iv'e heard that before .

anyone else having better luck with a brand other than what i am taking ? its been so long , i am afraid
the strength i take is not working very well .

Do you find this discussion helpful?

4 Responses


I know where you are coming from. I have a severe form of degenerative disk disease. When I had my first surgery a three level fusion/hardware implantation in 2007 , my surgeon said that my spine looked like that of an 85 year old as far as the degeneration. That was my first major surgery I have had many other surgeries since. But that's not my point. What I want to tell you is that I am being treated mainly with Kadian a very slow release form of morphine at an extremely high dose...you have to work your way upon the high dose will make you stop breathing...additionally for breakthrough pain I take either MS Contin which is a shorter term slow release morphine or Dilaudid both of which are stronger than oxy Contin...or at least they worked much better for me and others I have spoken with. Just a few suggestions. I hope this can be of some use to you. Lori


The other thing I did not tell you is to be your own best advocate. You know what's best for your body, because only you have been living in your body for your lifetime...you know your body the best. So advocate. Tell your doctors what is going on let them know the what when where's and how's and write notes and bring them in and if they don't listen if they keep believing what they want to believe despite what you have told them change doctors. And do not feel the need to be faithful to a doctor who has performed surgery on you. At the very least you can always ask for a pain management person. Often these are not doctors but nurse practitioners. Do not let that set you off.my nurse practitioner knows more than all of my doctors combined..and I have many doctors many medical problems. Anyhow nurse practitioners handle thepatientssyptoms diagnosis they spend more timewithyou in pain management than the docs and surgeons they tend to have more experience and basically a broader knowledge base for what could be causing different pains especially pain that you may think is directly from the back but is referred pain from something else. They are great at diagnosing things like that too. But they REALLY know their meds...I hope this helps I have been through a lot with back pain and I just want to think my experience could possibly maybe give some info to help someone else. So I hope som of this helps...Lori


Cymbalta (Duloxetine)
Duloxetine is used to treat depression and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD; excessive worry and tension that disrupts daily life and lasts for 6 months or longer). Duloxetine is also used to treat pain and tingling caused by diabetic neuropathy (damage to nerves that can develop in people who have diabetes) and ...

If what you are taking is not working for you, or the side effects are not something you can no longer tolerate and your doctor won't switch you to something else then your options that I see is that you switch doctors or go to a Rehap doctor who would look at the total effects on what you are saying.

Make sure that you have all the office notes and any test results and cd/dvd disks of MRI's that you had, so that the new doctor can see the complete problem,

The orthopedic is only going to look at his work and see how it is healing. The Rehap doctor will look at the complete situation and evaluation from a difference perspective.

I hope this answers your questions. You don't give your gender, age, health insurance or your location.

May be you need a second opinion and perceptive on your situation. This could be the answer and maybe you will get better pain control.