SpineUniverse Community Advice
Get help and share your story with others who know what you're going through.
Please register or log in to join the discussions!

3 weeks out of 2nd herniated disc surgery still hurts

Started by Ann253 on 04/18/2010 6:24pm

I had my first surgery October 2008 on L5 and L4 and last month had surgery again on L5 S1 herniated again. First surgery i was almost back to normal in 2 weeks this time im goin on 4 weeks and still hurting. Next step is fusion of those 2 disc does anyone know if it will be worth the fusion or just another discectomy? I am 38 and am soo tired of having back pain and cant enjoy life any input will help

Do you find this discussion helpful?

3 Responses


Hi I'm 9 weeks post op from a l5/s1 fusion with instrumentation. Its too early for me to tell if it was worth me getting the surgery or not. I do know however, that recovery from aq fusion surgery is not a walk in the park lol. Id try all other options and get 2nd and 3rd opinions if u can. Keep me posted and good luck to u!!!:)


I would always leave fusion for the last step. Sometimes it take time to achieve pain release after surgery. I would try phisical therapy and back pain school at least for a year and if there is no improovment than fusion surgery.


Hi Ann - I agree with the above. Not sure I would go another year, but fusion is no guarantee that it will fix your pain. It will for sure fix the mechanical issues with L4- S1, but the pain may still be there. Like you, I am in my 30's and the idea of fusion surgery scares the bajesus out of me. Once you go down that road, you run the risk of the discs above the fused area of becoming damaged due to the fact that they will start to have to take on more of the burden & work for supporting your back. Hence, additional fusion above L4 & it is never ending. If you get to the point that the disc issues are causing you to loose control or function of bowels/bladder, then you do not have any other option than the fusion, However, does not sound as though you are in that shape yet, so continue with the conservative treatments, and hold off on the fusion until absolutely medically necassary. That is what I would do. Good luck with whatever route you decide.