SpineUniverse Community Advice
Get help and share your story with others who know what you're going through.
Please register or log in to join the discussions!

What is a Pain Specialist?

Started by NayNay2doo on 03/03/2010 8:59am

Hello, I was so happy when I found this website. My first thought was wow there are so many people just like me. I am soon to be 48 year old female and the first time I remember hurting my back was in spring 1997 and it’s been downhill ever since. My diagnosis is L4 -5 L5 - S1 Deg Jt Dis Facet Jt Agg Pre - E (whatever that means, if you know will someone let me know??) and now I am being told that I have a compression fracture in my upper back where my “hump” is. Oh yeah, they did some blood work there is something wrong with my blood. Then next I knew I ended up in The James Cancer Center to R/O Leukemia. I was a full-time hairdresser started having trouble standing on my feet for 8-10 hours a day, then cut down to 4 hours and when that did not work I changed my career to computer data entry thinking that sitting would be better than standing. As you all know that did not work either. I have been in PT several different times and on every medication there is. My doctor just told me that I am going to a Pain Specialist soon. I don’t know what a Pain Specialist is, what do they do? My biggest problem is that I have no insurance and am not sure how I will pay for all this.

The hardest part of dealing with all this for me is that I am losing my friends, because I cannot do all the activities that they all want to do. This is ruining my life! At least now, I know I am not alone. I am hoping by joining this website that I can make friends and start getting the information that I need to help me cope with all of this……

Do you find this discussion helpful?

1 Response


I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. Your diagnosis is degenerative disc disease in the lower spine (the most common place for it) and some facet joint problems (not sure what Agg Pre-E means but my guess is some arthritis in the facet joint)

A pain specialist is someone who treats various different chronic pain conditions. They typically will prescribe more conservative care including medication and injections, but can do more invasive procedures to control pain as well. The compression fracture may even require vertebroplasty or kyphoplasty which essentially fills the fracture with a compound (like filling in a crack in a foundation with cement). They can be expensive though... Can you get on medicaid?

please let us know how things progress.