About David J. Hart, MD
David J. Hart, MD is Assistant Professor of Neurological Surgery at Case Western Reserve University's School of Medicine in Cleveland, OH. He also serves as Director, Neurosurgery Spine at The Neurological Institute, University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland.
Dr. Hart received his medical degree with honors at the University of Washington School of Medicine at Seattle, WA. He completed his general surgery internship at LA County General Hospital and residencies in neurosurgery at LA County General Hospital, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, and USC University Hospital, all in Los Angeles, CA. At the University of Utah Medical Center in Salt Lake City, UT, Dr. Hart completed a fellowship in spine surgery in the Departments of Neurosurgery and Orthopaedics.
Dr. Hart is a member of several prestigious medical organizations, including the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), and AANS/CNS Joint Section on Spine and Peripheral Nerves. Other notable associations include Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society and Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society.
1. Avellino AM, Hart DJ, Dailey AT, MacKinnon M, Ellegala D, and M. Kliot. Differential Macrophage Responses in the Peripheral and Central Nervous System during Wallerian Degeneration of Axons. Experimental Neurology. 1995. 136: 183-198.
2. Taketomi A, Nakabeppu Y, Ihara K, Hart DJ, Furuichi M, and M. Sekiguchi. Requirement for two conserved cysteine residues in the Ada protein of Escherichia coli for transactivation of the ada promoter. Molecular General Genetics. 1996. 250: 523-532.
3. Hart DJ, Khoo L, McComb J, and Levy M. Pediatric Intracranial Aneurysms: A Review. Hippocrates. 2001. 3 (7): 297-305.
4. Hart DJ and Giannotta SL. Complex Cranial Base Meningiomas: Combined Management. Techniques In Neurosurgery 9(2): 86-92. June 2003.
5. Hart DJ, Wang MY, Griffith P, Levy ML, and McComb JG. Pediatric Sacral Fractures. Spine. 2004 Mar 11; 29(6): 667-70.
6. Levy ML, Granville RC, Hart D, Meltzer H. Deep Venous Thrombosis In Children And Adolescents. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2004 Aug. 101 (1 Suppl): 32-7.
7. Hart DJ and Apfelbaum, RI. Anterior Cervical Spinal Cord Tethering Following Anterior Spinal Surgery. Neurosurgery. 2005 Feb. 56(2) E414.
8. Dailey AT, Hart DJ, Rondina M, Bachus K, and Brodke DS. A Comparison of Thoracic Pedicle Screw Placement Using Standard Fluoroscopy Versus Stereotactic Fluoroscopy. In submission.
9. Hart DJ, Corber Z, Levy M, and Apuzzo M. Communication, Visualization, and Data Presentation in the Neurosurgery Operating Room. 2003. In The Operating Room of the 21st Century. Apuzzo, M., Editor. Ch. 11, pp. 139-146. American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Rolling Meadows, IL.
10. Hart DJ, Khoo LT, Samudrala SS. Lateral Transthoracic Approach to the Spine. In Fessler RG and Sekhar LN (eds). Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques: Cranial and Peripheral Nerve, Spine and Endoscopic Surgery. Chapter 51, pp. 405-12. Thieme, New York, 2006.
11. Hu, Y. and Hart, DJ. Complications of Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty. J Tech Reg Anes. July 2007. 11(3): 164-170. 12 Chowdhry S and Hart DJ. Overcoming the Learning Curve of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. In press. In Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. Kim, Beisse and Perez-Cruet, Eds. In press.
Presentations, Abstracts and Posters
1. Avellino AM, Hart DJ, Dailey AT, MacKinnon M, Ellegala D, and M. Kliot. Upregulation of cellular adhesion molecules and the role of macrophages in the rat sciatic nerve during Wallerian degeneration. Poster presentation at 23rd annual Western Medical Student Research Forum. February 1995.
2. Hart DJ, Krieger M, Levy M, and McComb, J. Split Cord Malformations Associated with Distal Tethering - Is Untethering Indicated? Oral presentation at pediatric section meeting of American Association of Neurological Surgeons. October 2000.
3. Hart DJ, Krieger M, Levy M, and McComb, J. Incidence of Deep Venous Thrombosis in the Pediatric Population. Oral presentation at pediatric section meeting of American Association of Neurological Surgeons. October 1999.
4. Hart DJ and Giannotta S. Surgical Staging and Radiosurgery in the Management of Multicompartmental Meningiomas. Poster presentation at Congress of Neurological Surgeons meeting, September 2001.
5. Wang MY, Hart DJ, Griffith P, McComb JG, and Levy ML. Traumatic Spinal Cord and Spinal Column Injuries in the Pediatric Population. Poster presentation at Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, 2002.
6. Dailey AT, Hart DJ and Apfelbaum RI. Anterior Direct Screw Fixation in the Elderly. Oral presentation at Richard Lende Winter Neurosurgery Conference, February 2003.
7. Dailey AT, Hart DJ, Schmidt M, Apfelbaum RI. Anterior Fixation of Odontoid Fractures in the Elderly. Oral presentation at AANS/CNS Joint Section on Spine and Peripheral Nerves Annual Meeting, 2003.
8. Ahn, N, Oldenburg FP, Ahn U, Cassinelli E, Hart DJ, Bohlman H. Predictive Factors for Improvement After Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injections: Survival and Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. Abstract, North American Spine Society Annual Meeting, September 2006.
9. Dean C, Glenn W, Ahn U, Cassinelli E, Hart DJ, Bohlman H, Ahn N. Smoking Increases Blood Loss and Transfusion Requirements Following Lumbar Spine Surgery. Abstract, North American Spine Society Annual Meeting, Sept. 2006.
10. Hart DJ, Hu Y, Finn M, Dailey AT, Apfelbaum R. Anterior Odontoid Screw Fixation in the Elderly Population. Oral podium presentation, Neurosurgical Society of America Annual Meeting, June 2007.
11. Fulop SC, Moore M, Tabib-Azar M, Hart DJ. Biocompatible and Matched Piezoresistive Polymeric Films for Implantable Telemetric Force Sensors for in Vivo Spinal Biomechanical Measurements. Oral Point Presentation, AANS/CNS Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves 24th Annual Meeting, March 2008.
Case Studies Presented by David J. Hart, MD
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.