What Treatments Do Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine Provide?
The type of treatment varies according to the patient and the diagnosis. Treatment by an osteopathic doctor may include prescription medications, osteopathic manipulation, spinal injections, and/ or spine surgery. Nonoperative treatment is considered first, as most patients with back or neck pain do not need spine surgery.
Care by an osteopathic doctor includes assessing the patient's habits, stress level, other medical problems, nutrition, and physical fitness. Improvement in these areas benefits the patient's overall health and is viewed as essential to disease prevention.
The aim of osteopathic manipulation is to improve pain, range of motion, and function. Common osteopathic manipulation techniques include:
- Articulation moves joints to increase range of motion.
- Counterstrain helps alleviate tender or trigger points.
- Muscle energy strengthens weak muscles and relaxes tight muscles.
- Myofascial release stretches muscle tissues to reduce muscle tightness and pain.
- Thrust treats joint motion loss by moving the joint against its resistance