Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF): Clinical Results and References
There seems to be little doubt that if the decision is taken to reduce spinal deformity such as spondylolisthesis, it should be accompanied by anterior column support.
Modern implants and techniques have improved the ease of Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) surgery and greatly reduced the surgical risks.
The clinical results have become more reliable with many surgeons now reporting good and excellent results in over 85% of patients. As minimal access techniques and fusion bio-technology continue to develop we can expect to see the clinical outcomes continue to improve.
1. Bagby G, Kuslich S. Arthrodesis of the lumbar spine utilizing a rigid housing containing bone graft. The BAK interbody fusion method. In: Thalgot J, ed. Manual of Internal Fixation. New York, NY: Raven Press; 1994.
2. Barnes B. Rodts GE Jr. Haid RW Jr. et al. Allograft implants for posterior lumbar interbody fusion: results comparing cylindrical dowels and impacted wedges. Neurosurgery Nov 2002; 51(5):1191-98.
3. Boos N, Marchesi D, Zuber K, Aebi M. Treatment of severe spondylolisthesis by reduction and pedicular fixation. A 4-6 year follow-up study. Spine 1993; 18: 1655-61.
4. Brantigan J, Steffee A, Geiger J. A carbon fiber implant to aid interbody lumbar fusion. Mechanical testing. Spine 1991; 16:S277-82.
5. Briggs H, Milligan P. Chip fusion of the low back following exploration of the spinal canal. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 1944; 26:125-130.
6. Hu SS, Bradford DS, Transfeldt EE, Cohen M. Reduction of high-grade spondylolisthesis using Edwards instrumentation. Spine 1996; 21:367-71.
7. Jaslow IA. Intercorporal bone graft in spinal fusion after disc removal. Surg Gyn Obstet 1946; 82:215-218.
8. Khoo LT. Palmer S. Laich DT. Fessler RG. Minimally invasive percutaneous posterior lumbar interbody fusion. Neurosurgery Nov 2002; 51 S2:166-181.
9. Molinari R, Bridwell K, Lenke L et al. Complications in the surgical treatment of pediatric high-grade isthmic, dysplastic spondylolisthesis: a comparison of three surgical approaches. Spine 1999; 24: 1701-17.
10. Molinari RW. Bridwell KH. Lenke LG. Baldus C. Anterior column support in surgery for high-grade, isthmic spondylolisthesis. Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research. 2002; 394:109-20.
11. Ray CD. Threaded Titanium cages for lumbar interbody fusions. Spine 1986; 11: 601-606.
12. Suk S, Lee C, Kim W et al. Adding posterior lumbar interbody fusion to pedicle screw fixation after decompression in spondylolytic spondylolisthesis. Spine 1997; 22: 210-219.
13. Wagner PC, Grant BD, Bagby GW: Evaluation of cervical spinal fusion as a treatment in the equine "wobbler" syndrome. Vet Surg 1979; 8: 84-89.