Questions to Ask Your Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
Being prepared for your appointment and asking the right questions is a great way to stay involved in your health care. In advance of your appointment, find out if previous test results, such as X-rays or MRI studies are needed. You may be able to bring these with you, or help coordinate getting this information to your doctor of osteopathic medicine.
The sample questions listed below serve as a guideline. It is a good idea to prepare for your appointment by writing your questions down. Answers to your questions can help you to make informed decisions about treatment. Consider bringing a family member or friend as an extra set of ears.
Questions to ask the osteopathic doctor:
- Are you board certified?
- Do you specialize in my condition or a related problem?
- Are you open to a second opinion?
- Are you comfortable with me bringing a friend or relative to my appointments?
Questions to ask about your treatment:
- What are risks and complications associated with treatment?
- Do you perform this procedure often? How often?
- What is the success rate for this treatment or procedure?
- How many times a week must I come to get results?
- How long does each session last?
- Will I need care from other health care professionals?
It is important to trust and be comfortable with your osteopathic doctor. Asking questions is a good way to keep the lines of communication open!