Physical Therapist Education and Training
Besides licensed physical therapists, there are other types of PTs. The initials listed below help to explain the most common credentials in the physical therapy profession.
- DPT is a PT with a doctoral degree in physical therapy.
- MPT or MSPT is a PT with a master's degree in physical therapy.
- PTA is a Physical Therapy Assistant. A PTA has an associate degree and meets state requirements.
- FAPTA is a Fellow of the American Physical Therapy Association. These PTs often have advanced degrees and/or have made advances in the profession.
- Cert. MDT or Dip. MDT is a credential McKenzie Method® practitioner.
Some physical therapists pursue advanced training and certification in areas such as cardiovascular and pulmonary, geriatric, neurologic, orthopaedic, pediatric, and sports.