Facts and Tips about Rheumatoid Arthritis
And now that you know more about rheumatoid arthritis, test your knowledge.
- Researchers aren't sure what exactly causes rheumatoid arthritis (RA), but it could have something to do with heredity: they've discovered a possible link between the genetic marker HLA-DR4 and people with RA.
- Rheumatoid arthritis causes your immune system to turn against itself.
- RA symptoms are often symmetrical: if your right wrist is affected, your left wrist usually is, too.
- Women are more likely than men to develop rheumatoid arthritis.
- Pregnancy can relieve some of the symptoms of RA.
- In the spine, rheumatoid arthritis usually starts in the neck (cervical spine).
- You need a good balance of rest and exercise / activity to keep your joints as healthy as possible.
- In the US, it's estimated that 1.3 million people have RA1.
Updated on: 08/18/15
What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis?