Sciatica Prevention and Relief
To try to prevent back pain and sciatica, you should take good care of your body and practice healthy habits. You should:
- Sit and stand properly. Don't sit cross-legged because that puts pressure on your sciatic nerve.
- Learn to lift correctly.
- Exercise regularly. (Low-impact aerobic exercise is especially good.)
- Attain and maintain a healthy body weight.
- Eat healthy foods (a well-balanced, low-fat diet rich in fruits and vegetables).
- Select a mattress and box spring that offers good support. Slip a pillow under your knees to help relieve low back pressure. People who prefer to sleep on their side should place a pillow between their knees to help reduce hip and low back pain.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol.
- Get plenty of rest.
Updated on: 09/11/15
6 Leading Causes of Sciatica