Facts and Tips about Upper Back Pain
- If you have upper back pain, you may also have neck pain.
- Your upper back is also called your thoracic spine. Your ribs connect to your thoracic vertebrae.
- The thoracic spine, also known as the upper back or the mid-back, is the most stable region of the spine. The neck (cervical spine) and low back (lumbar spine) move more than the thoracic spine
- One of the thoracic spine's main jobs is to protect the internal organ in the chest cavity (heart, lungs, etc.)
- Upper back pain is often caused by a muscle or soft tissue problem.
- It's very rare to have a herniated disc in the upper back.
- Carrying too much in your backpack can cause upper back pain.
Updated on: 02/03/16
What Is Upper Back Pain?