Facts and Tips about Back Pain
- At some point in their lives, 80% of Americans will experience back pain.
- You can injure your back by coughing or sneezing.
- If you have a sprained or strained back—not a serious injury—use ice to help reduce swelling, muscle spasms, and pain for the first 24 to 48 hours after you injure your back.
- If you have a sprained or strained back-not a serious injury-use ice first. After 48 hours, switch to heat to warm and relax sore tissues.
- Good posture is one of the best ways to avoid straining your spine.
- Exercising on a regular basis helps you maintain a healthy spine.
- Each year, back pain costs Americans about $100 billion in medical bills, disability, and lost productivity.
Updated on: 08/10/15
Symptoms of Back Pain