Back Pain Exercise Video: Knee to Chest
The knee to chest stretch is used to stretch your hip and low back (lumbar spine) muscles. It should also help relieve pressure on spinal nerves by creating more space for those nerves as they exit the spine.
Recommended exercise for the following spinal condition(s)
Lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease
Sciatica (caused by Piriformis Syndrome)
Sciatica (caused by DDD)
Sciatica (caused by Spinal Stenosis)
- Start on your back.
- Gently pull one knee towards your chest, using your hands to hold your leg in the stretch.
- Hold 10 seconds. You should feel a stretch in your low back and hip.
- Switch legs and pull your other knee towards your chest, again holding 10 seconds.
- Repeat 3-5 times with each leg.
- Bring both legs to your chest, holding 10 seconds and repeating 3-5 times.
Only do the exercise shown in this video if a qualified spine specialist has recommended it. Only do the exercise within the limits that your spine specialist has advised. Do not do the exercise without your spine specialist's approval; it could lead to serious injury. Always contact your spine specialist if you have any questions regarding your back or neck condition or about the suitability of this specific exercise.