Disc Prolapse L4/L5
My consultant recommended I did some research on this site and I thought I would put my story and history on here to hopefully be able to talk with some other people who are experiencing the same problems I am having. I am currently aged 25 and about four years ago I injured my back whilst playing golf. I went through a series of treatments as it was suspected (not confirmed) that I had a bulge in the disc in my back. Fast forward two years and I managed to make a full recovery and got back to playing football and other sports. About 12 months ago I injured my back again but unfortunately only this time it was a hell of a lot worse than when I first did it. This time I did go and have a scan and it was confirmed I had a disc prolapse in the L4/L5 junction of my back. The only difference this time to the last was that I had nerve pain in my left leg which would not shift. It has and still is to this day causing me difficulty when walking. I had physiotherapy on the national health service which was less than satisfactory and I decided to stop going after a while. I then decided to go privately to see a consultant where he did a further scan and advised that it was again a disc prolapse in the L4/L5 junction, no surprises! I had some injections to help with the pain and then I went to see a decent physiotherapist who helped improve the core muscles in my back. Unfortunately this did not shift the leg pain. I went back to see my consultant last week and we spoke about the possibility of surgery. My consultants professional opinion is that he feels I do not need the surgery. After discussin this further I said I wanted this to be considered as I was worried about my long term health and the condition of the disc in my back. He then began to explain that we could do it but there may be a chance I may never make a full recovery even with surgery and I may not be able to get back doing the things I love to do like football. He also said most patients do make a full recovery. Not knowing if I ever will be able to play football again is a tough pill to swallow. The two options of surgery available are a fusion or an MIS. Because the condition of my disc is effectively like a flat tyre that needs nurturing the fusion would be the obvious choice as if I have an MIS I may have to have a second operation again at some point in the future. I could always leave the disc as is without surgery but who knows how long it will take to recover! I can also have. further injection to see how it responds. It's been a very difficult week and I was edging towards the injection but then my mind is telling me surgery because of the long term. I guess I was hoping to speak to people on here who may have been presented with the same difficult decisions at such a young age. Hope to hear from you all soon.