About Serena Hu, MD
Serena Hu, MD is Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Stanford University Medical Center in Stanford, CA.
Dr. Hu's research interests include prediction and prevention of metastatic fractures of the spine that could otherwise lead to paralysis; disc degeneration and its potential prevention or reversal. Her clinical interests include prevention of complications and treatment of adult scoliosis.
Dr. Hu received her undergraduate degree from Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. She completed her medical training at McGill University in Montreal, Canada before serving an internship in general surgery at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York. Dr. Hu was a resident in orthopaedic surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery, Cornell University Medical School in New York. Following her residency, she completed a fellowship in spine and scoliosis surgery at Rancho Los Amigos in Downey, CA.
1. Hu, S.S.; Healey, J.H.; Huvos, A.: Fibrous dysplasia of the second cervical vertebra: A case report. J. Bone Joint Surg 72A: 781-783, 1990.
2. Garland, D.E.; Stewart, C.A.; Adkins, R.H.; Hu, S.S.; Rosen, C.; Liotta, F.J.; Weinstein, D.A.: Osteoporosis after spinal cord injury. J. Orthop. Research 10:371-378, 1992.
3. Rimoldi, R.L.; Zigler, J.E.; Capen, D.A.; Hu, S.S.: The effect of surgical intervention on rehabilitation time in patients with thoracolumbar and lumbar spinal cord injuries. Spine 12:1443-1449, 1992.
4. Hu, S.S. and Pashman, R.: Spinal instrumentation: Evolution and state of the art. Invest. Radiol 27(8):632-647, 1992.
5. Hu, S.S.; Capen, D.A.; Rimoldi, R.L.; Zigler, J.E.: The effect of surgical intervention on rehabilitation time in patients with thoracolumbar and lumbar spinal cord injuries. Spin, 1992 Dec; 17(12); 1443-9.
6. Pashman, R.S.; Hu, S.S.; Schendel, M.J.; Bradford, D.S.: Sacral screw loads in lumbosacral fixation for spinal deformity. Spine 18:2465-2470, 1994.
7. Bueff, H.U.; Lotz, J.C.; Colliou O.K.; Khapchik V.; Ashford F.; Hu, S.S.; Bradford, D.S.: Instrumentation of the cervico-thoracic junction after destabilization. Spine 20:1789-1792, 1995.
8. Glazer, P.A. and Hu, S.S.: Pediatric Spinal Infections. Orthop. Clin. North Am, Spinal Infection Issue 27:111-123, 1996.
9. Hu, S.S.; Bradford, D.S.; Transfeldt, E.E.; Cohen, M.: Reduction of high-grade spondylolisthesis using Edwards instrumentation. Spine 21(3): 367-371, 1996.
10. Hu, S.S.; Holly, E.A.; Lele, C.; Averbach, S.; Kristiansen, J.; Schiff, M.; Bueff, H.U.; Bradford, D.S.: Patient outcomes after spinal reconstructive surgery in patients over 40 years of age. J. Spinal Disorders 9:460-469, 1996.
11. Teitz, C.D.; Hu, S.S.; Arendt, E.A.: The female athlete: evaluation and treatment of sports-related problems. JAAOS 5:87-96, 1997.
12. Byl, N.N.; Holland, S.; Jurek, A.; Hu, S.S.: Postural imbalance and vibratory sensitivity in patients with idiopathic scoliosis: Implications for treatment. JOSPT 26:60-68, 1997.
13. Lotz, J.C.; Hu, S.S.; Chiu, D.F.M.; Yu, M.; Colliou, O.; Poser, R.D.: Carbonated apatite cement augmentation of pedicle screw fixation in the lumbar spine. Spine 22:2716-2723, 1997.
14. Buttermann, G.R.; Glazer, P.A.; Hu, S.S.; Bradford, D.S.: Revision of failed lumbar fusion: A comparison of anterior autograft vs. allograft. Spine 22:2748-2755, 1997.
15. Hu, S.S.: Internal fixation in the osteoporotic spine. Spine (suppl.) 22:43S-48S, 1997.
16. Anderson, G. B.J., Bostrom, M.P.G., Eyre, D.R., Glaser, D.L., Hu, S.S., Lane, J.M., Melton L. J., Myers, E.R., Seeger, L.L., Weinstein, J.N.: Consensus summary on the diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis. Spine 22(24S): 63S-65S, 1997.
17. Whyne, C.M.; Hu, S.S.; Klisch, S.; Lotz, J.C.: Effect of the pedicle and posterior arch on vertebral body strength prediction in finite element modeling. Spine 23:899-907, 1998.
18. Hu, S.S.; Fontaine, F.; Kelly, B; Bradford, D.S.: Nutritional depletion in staged spinal surgery: the effect of total parenteral nutrition. Spine 23:1401-1405, 1998.
19. Nork, S.E.; Hu, S.S.; Workman, K.L.; Glazer, P.A.; Bradford, D.S.: Patient outcomes after decompression and instrumented posterior spinal fusion for degenerative spondylolisthesis. Spine 24:561-9, 1999.
20. Hu, S.S.; Point of View - Arthroscopic Surgery Study. Spine 23, 15 (1702), 1998.
21. Hu, S.S.; Deckey, Jeffrey: Reduction Techniques for Spondylolisthesis. Seminars in Spine Surgery Vol.11, No.1: 48-55 March 1999.
22. Dearborn, J.T.; Hu, S.S; Tribus CB; Bradford, D.S. Thromboembolic Complications After Major Thoracolumbar Spine Surgery. Spine 24(14); 1471-76, July 15, 1999.
23. Smith, J; Hu, S: Management of Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis in the Pediatric and Adolescent Population. Orthopedic Clinics of North America Vol. 30, No. 3: 487-99, July 1999.
24. Bradford, DS; Tay, BT; Hu, SS: Adult Scoliosis: Surgical Indications, Operative Management, Complications, and Outcomes. Spine Vol. 24, No. 24, pp 2617-2629, December 15, 1999.
25. Whyne, CM; Hu, SS; Workman, KL; Lotz, JC; Biphasic material properties of lytic bone metastases. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 28(9): 1154-8, Sep 2000.
26. Lehman, CR; Deckey, JE; Hu, SS. Ekinella corrodens vertebral osteomyelitis secondary to direct inoculation: a case report. Spine 25(9): 1185-7, May 2001.
27. Buttermann, G.R., Glazer, P.A., Hu, S.S., Bradford, D.S.: Anterior and Posterior Allografts in Symptomatic Thoracolumbar Deformity. J Spinal Disorders 14, 54-66, Feb 2001.
28. Deviren, V; Berven, S; Smith, JA; Emani, A; Hu, SS; Bradford, DS. Excision of hemivertebrae in the management of congenital scoliosis involving the thoracic and thoracolumbar spine. J of Bone and Joint Surgery. British Volume. 83(4): 496-500, May 2001.
29. Berven, S; Deviren, V.; Smith, JA; Emami, A.; Hu, SS; Bradford, DS. Management of Fixed Sagittal Plane Deformity. Spine 2001 Sep 15;26(18), 2036-2043.
30. Whyne CM, Hu SS, Lotz JC. Parametric finite element analysis of vertebral bodies affected by tumors. J Biomech. 2001 Oct;34(10):1317-24.
31. Chiu EJ, Newitt DC, Segal MR, Hu SS, Lotz JC, Majumdar S. Magnetic resonance imaging measurement of relaxation and water diffusion in the human lumbar intervertebral disc under compression in vitro. Spine 2001 Oct 1;26(19):E437-44.
32. Kleinstueck FS, Hu SS, Bradford, DS. Use of allograft femoral rings for spinal deformity in adults. Clin Orthop. 2002 Jan;(394):84-91. Review.
33. Tay, Bobby K-B; Deckey, Jeffrey; Hu, Serena S. Spinal Infections. J of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Vol. 10 (3), May/June 2002, p. 188-197.
34. Berven S, Tay BB, Colman W, Hu SS. The lumbar zygapophyseal (facet) joints: a role in the pathogenesis of spinal pain syndromes and degenerative spondylolisthesis. Semin Neurol 2002 Jun; 22(2); 187-96. Review.
35. Emami A; Deviren V; Berven, S; Smith, JA; Hu SS; Bradford DS. Outcome and Complications of Long Fusions to the Sacrum in Adult Spine Deformity. Spine 2002 Apr 1; 27(7); pp 776-786, 2002.
36. Deviren, V; Berven S; Kleinstueck F; Antinnes J; Smith JA; Hu SS. Predictors of Flexibility and Pain Patterns in Thoracolumbar and Lumbar Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine 1;27(21): 2346-2349, Nov. 2002.
37. Whyne CM, Hu SS, Lotz JC. Burst fracture in the metastatically involved spine: development, validation, and parametric analysis of a three-dimensional poroelastic finite-element model. Spine 2003 Apr 1;28(7):652-60.
38. Whyne CM, Hu SS, Lotz JC. Biomechanically derived guideline equations for burst fracture risk prediction in the metastatically involved spine. J Spinal Disord Tech 2003, Apr;16(2): 180-5.
39. Berven S; Kao H; Deviren V; Hu SS; Bradford DS. Treatment of Thoracic Pseudarthrosis in the Adult: Is Combined Surgery Necessary? Clin Orthop & Rel Res June 2003; 411, 25-31.
40. Berven S; Hu SS; Deviren V; Smith J; Bradford DS. Lumbar End Plate Osteotomy in Adult Patients with Scoliosis. Clin Orthop & Rel Res June 2003; 411, 70-76.
41. Berven S, Deviren V, Demir-Deviren S, Hu SS, Bradford DS. Studies in the modified scoliosis research society outcomes instrument in adults: validation, reliability, and discriminatory capacity. Spine 2003 Sep 15;28(18):2164-9; discussion 2169.
42. O'Neill CW, Liu JJ, Leibenberg E, Hu SS, Deviren V, Tay BK, Chin CT, Lotz JC. Percutaneous plasma decompression alters cytokine expression in injured porcine intervertebral discs. Spine J 2004 Jan-Feb;4(1):88-98.
Publications: Chapters in Books
1. Walters, R.L. and Hu, S.S.: Penetrating injuries to the spinal cord: Stab and gunshot injuries. In Frymoyer, J.W. (ed.): The Adult Spine, New York, Raven Press, 1991.
2. Hu, S.S. and Cressy, J.: Paraplegia and Quadriplegia. In Brodwin, M.G, Teller, F., and Brodwin, S.K. (eds.): Medical Aspects of Disability: A Textbook for Rehabilitation Counselors, Elliott and Fitzpatrick, 1992.
3. Bradford, D.S. and Hu, S.S.: Spondylolisthesis and spondylolysis. In Weinstein, S. (ed.): The Pediatric Spine: Principles and Practice, Vol. 1, New York, Raven Press, 1994, pp. 585-602.
4. Bradford, D.S. and Hu, S.S.: Neuromuscular Spinal Deformity. In Lonstein, J.E., Winter, R.B., Bradford, D.S., and Ogilvie, J.W. (eds.): Moe's Textbook of Scoliosis and Other Spinal Deformities, 3rd Ed., Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders, 1995, pp. 295-322.
5. Hu, S.S., Bueff, H.U. and Tribus, C.B.: Disorders, diseases, and injuries of the spine. In Skinner, H.B. (ed.): Current Diagnosis and Treatment in Orthopedics, Norwalk, Appleton and Lange, 1995, pp. 165-235.
6. Bradford, D.S. and Hu, S.S.: Excision of Hemivertebrae. In Bradford, D.S. (ed.): The Spine, Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery, Philadelphia, Lippincott-Raven, 1997, pp.185-197.
7. Stoller, D.W. Hu, S.S., Kaiser, J.A.: The Spine. In Stoller D.W.: Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine, 2nd ed., Philadelphia, Lippincott-Raven, 1997, pp. 1059-1162.
8. Hu, S.S.: The Spine. In Teitz, C.C. (ed.): The Female Athlete, Rosemont, IL, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1997.
9. Hu, S.S. and Bradford, D.S.: Juvenile Kyphosis. In An, H.S. (ed.): Principles and Techniques of Spine Surgery, Malvern, PA, William & Wilkins, 1997, pp. 239-248.
10. Dee, C.H.; Nork, S.E., and Hu, S.S.: Pediatric Fractures of the Spine. In Capen, D.A. (ed.): Comprehensive Management of Spine Trauma, St. Louis, Mosby, 1998, pp.241-275. In Press
1. Pashman, R.S., Hu, S., Bradford, D.S., and Schendel, M.: Sacral fixation in spinal deformity surgery: A biomechanical study. Orthop. Trans 16:1, Spring 1992.
2. Rimoldi, R.L., Hu, S.S., Zigler, J.E., and Capen, D.A.: The effect of surgical intervention on rehabilitation time in patients with thoracolumbar and lumbar spinal cord injuries. Orthop. Trans 16:3, Winter 1992-93.
3. Banks, G.M., Transfeldt, E.E., Hu, S., Ogilvie, J.W., and Bradford, D.S.: The prognostic significance of decompensation occurring after Cotrel Dubousset instrumentation for idiopathic scoliosis. Orthop. Trans 16:3, Winter 1992-93.
4. Banks, G.M., Hu, S.S., Cohen, M., Garvey, T.A., and Ogilvie, James: Ted hose versus sequential compression boots for the prevention of deep venous thrombosis following elective major thoracolumbar spine surgery. Orthop. Trans 17(4):1082, 1993-94.
5. Dearborn, J.T., Hu, S.S., Tribus, C., and Bradford, D.S.: Venous thromboembolism following major spine surgery. Orthop. Trans 19(2):403, 1995.
6. Lotz, J.C., Hu, S.S., Chiu, D.F.M., Glazer, P.A., Poser, R.D., and Contantz, B.R.: In situ setting hydroxyapatite augmentation of pedicle screw fixation in the lumbar spine: A cyclic study. Proc. of the International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine, 22nd Annual Meeting, Helsinki, Finland, June 1995, p. 69.
7. Bueff, H.U., Lotz, J.C., Colliou, O., Khapchik, V., Ashford, F., Hu, S.S., and Bradford, D.S.: Instrumentation of the cervico-thoracic junction after destabilization. Trans. 2nd Annual Combined Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Societies, San Diego, November 1995, p. 229.
8. Lotz, J.C., Hu, S.S., Chiu, D.F.M., Glazer, P.A., Poser, R.D., and Contantz, B.R.: In situ setting hydroxyapatite augmentation of pedicle screw fixation in the lumbar spine: A cyclic study. Trans. 2nd Annual Combined Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Societies, San Diego, November 1995, p. 241.
9. Hu, S.S., Holly, E.A., Lele, C., Bueff, H.U., Averbach, S., and Bradford, D.S.: Patient outcomes after spinal reconstructive surgery in patients 40 years of age and older. Orthop. Trans 19(3): 587, 1995-96.
10. Hu, S.S., Bradford, D.S., Transfeldt, E., and Cohen, M.: Reduction of high-grade spondylolisthesis using Edwards instrumentation. Orthop. Trans 19(3):593-594, 1995-96.
11. Dearborn, J.T., Hu, S.S., Tribus, C., and Bradford, D.S.: Venous thromboembolism following major spine surgery. Orthop. Trans 19(3):616, 1995-96.
12. Hu, S.S., Lotz, J.C., Chiu, D.F.M., Glazer, P.A., Bueff, H.U., and Poser, R.D.: Pedicle screw fixation in the lumbar spine: Augmentation with carbonated apatite. Orthop. Trans 19(3):640, 1995-96.
13. Hu, S.S., Lotz, J.C., Chiu, D.F.M., Glazer, P.A., and Bueff, H.U.: Pedicle screw fixation in the lumbar spine: Augmentation with hydroxyapatite. Orthop. Trans 20(1):101, 1996.
14. Lotz, J.C., Hu, S.S., Chiu, D.F.M., Glazer, P.A., Bueff, H.U., and Poser, R.D.: In situ setting hydroxyapatitie augmentation of pedicle screw fixation in the lumbar spine: A cyclic study. Orthop. Trans 20(2):383, 1996
15. Chiu, E.J., Newett, D.C., Hu, S.S., Lotz, J.C., Majumdar, S.: MRI Measurement of water diffusion in the human intervertebral disc with compression. Trans Orthop Res Soc 22:123, 1997.
16. Chiu, E.J., Newett, D.C., Hu, S.S., Lotz, J.C., Majumdar, S.: Correlation of intervertebral disc hydration with MR-derived diffusion coefficients and relaxation times. Trans Orthop Res Soc 22:221, 1997.
17. Nork, S.E., Hu, S.S., Workman, K.L., Glazer, P.A., Bradford, D.S.: Patient outcomes after Instrumented PSF for Degenerative Spondylolisthesis. Ortho Trans 21(1):159, 1997.
Articles Written by Serena Hu, MD
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.