Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
About Sigurd H Berven, MD
Dr. Sigurd Berven is an orthopaedic surgeon and Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of California at San Francisco.
Dr. Berven is a graduate of the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency. After completion of his residency, he had further clinical training in spine surgery as a clinical fellow at UCSF, and in Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery as a Chief Resident at The Boston Children's Hospital. Dr Berven studied Human Biology as an undergraduate at Stanford University. He was a graduate student at Oxford University, earning a degree in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics. He received his Doctorate in Medicine from Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Berven has a strong clinical interest in spinal disorders of children and adults. He is interested in pediatric and adult deformity, degenerative conditions of the spine, spinal tumors, and spinal trauma. His research interests include assessment of clinical outcomes in minimally invasive spinal surgery, and biological regeneration of spinal elements including intervertebral discs.
He is a member of several prestigious spine societies and presents his research at national and international conferences.
1. Berven S, Micheli L: Anaerobic Performance: Health and Safety Aspects of Anaerobic Training. In: Van Praagh K, ed. Anaerobic Performance During Childhood and Adolescence. Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign, IL.
2. Berven S, Bradford DS: Vertebral Column Resection for the Treatment of Fixed Spinal Deformity. In: Lenke L., ed. Modern Anterior Scoliosis Surgery. Quality Medical Publishing, St. Louis, MO.
3. Tay BKB, Colman WW, Berven S, Fontes R, Gunther S, Holmes W, Kim H, Lattanza L, Diao E, Hu SS, Bradford DS: Orthopaedics. In Current Surgical Diagnosis and Treatment. Way LW, Doherty GM eds. 11th edition. McGraw-Hill Publishers, 2003.
4. Berven S, Bradford DS: The Child's Spine. Current Surgical Diagnosis and Treatment (In Press).
5. Berven S, Bradford DS: Transpedicular Wedge Resection Osteotomy- Surgical Techniques in Masters Techniques in Spine Surgery (Submitted) .
6. Berven S, Hu SS: Surgical Techniques in Management of the Osteoporotic Spine. In Frymoyer, The Adult Spine (Submitted).
7. Hu SS, Berven S, Bradford DS: Adult Scoliosis: Evaluation and Management. In Frymoyer, The Adult Spine (Submitted).
8. Berven S, Bradford DS; Complications in Spinal Deformity Surgery. In Vaccarro ed: Complications in Spine Surgery (Submitted).
9. Berven S, Bradford DS: Closing wedge osteotomy for thoracolumbar kyphosis in Ankylosing Spondylitis. In van Royen, Dijkmans eds: Ankylosing spondylitis, Diagnosis and Treatment (In Preparation).
10. Berven S: Scoliosis. In Vaccarro ed: Resident and Fellow's Guide to Spinal Disorders.
1. Berven S, Deviren V: Management of Back Pain Associated with Isthmic Spondylolisthesis. Spine Online Case Reports Forum. 1/02
2. Berven S, Cinnotti G, Traynelis V: Online Case Reports: A Resource for Open Discussion and Ongoing Education from the Community of Physicians Caring for Spinal Disorders. Spine
3. Berven S, Bradford DS: Expert Commentary on Salvage Reconstruction with Vascularized Fibular Strut Graft Fusion using Posterior Approach in the Treatment of Severe Spondylolisthesis. Spine Online Reports: 10/01
4. Berven S, Bradford DS, Hu SS: Intervertebral Disc Replacement: A New Era in the Management of Back Pain. Editorial, Backup-Spine, Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg. 3/02
5. Berven S: Point of View Commentary on: Ali RM, Boachie-Adjei O, Rawlins BA: Functional and radiographic outcomes after surgery for adult scoliosis using third generation instrumentation techniques. Spine (In Press).
6. Berven S: Point of View Commentary on: McLain et al: Functional outcomes after surgery for spinal fractures: Return to work and activity. Spine (In Press).
1. Berven S, Horvath K, Brooks D: The Effect of Topical Intraperitoneal Bupivicaine on Post-operative Pain following Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. Minimally Invasive Therapy 1995; 4:67-71.
2. Dubin D, Peters JH, Brown LF, Logan B, Kent KC, Berse B, Berven S, Cercek B, Sahrifi BG, Pratt RE, Dzau VJ, Van de Waters L: Balloon Catheterization Induces Arterial Expression of Embryonic Fibronectins. Arterioschlerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, 15 (11): 1958-1967, 1995.
3. Li G, Berven S, Simpson H, Trifitt J: The Expression of BMP-4 mRNA during Distraction Osteogenesis in Rabbits. Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavia 69 (4): 420-425, 1998.
4.Berven S, Pedlow F: A Review of the Biomechanics of Spinal Instrumentation. Current Opinion in Orthopaedics 10(2): 142-48, 1999.
5. Berven S, Chandler H, Rubash H, Murphy S, Burke D, Minas T: The Direct Lateral Approach to the Hip. Harvard Orthopaedic Journal 1: 106-108, 1999.
6. Berven S, Hresko MT: Video-assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery in the Treatment of Pediatric Spinal Deformity. Harvard Orthopaedic Journal 1: 107-111, 1999.
7. Oreffo R, Romberg S, Virdi AJ, Joyner CJ, Berven S, Triffitt JT: Effects of Interferon Alpha on Human Osteoprogenitor Cell Growth and Differentiation in Vitro. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, 1999 Sep 1, 74 (3): 372-85.
8. Li G, Berven S, Athanasou NA, Simpson AH: Distraction Osteogenesis: Histology of the Regenerate. Injury 1999 Oct; 30 (8):525-34.
9. Deviren V, Berven S, Emami A, Smith JA, Hu S, Bradford DS: Hemivertebrectomy in the thoracic and thoracolumbar spine. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2001 May, 83B(4):496-500.
10. Smith J, Deviren V, Berven S, Kleinsteuck F, Bradford DS: Clinical Outcome of Trans-Sacral Interbody Fusion After Partial Reduction for High-Grade L5-S1 Spondylolisthesis. Spine 2001;26:2227-2234
11. Lingard EA, Berven S, Katz JN: Management and Care of Patients Undergoing Total Knee Arthroplasty: Variations Across Different Health Care Settings. Arthritis Care and Research Vol. 13, No. 3, June 2000
12. Berven S, Tay BK, Kleinsteuck F, Bradford DS: Clinical Applications of Mineralized and demineralized bone graft preparations in spine surgery. Eur Spine J. 2001 Oct;10 Suppl 2:S169-77. Review.
13. Berven S, Deviren V, Smith J, Emami A, Bradford DS: Management of fixed sagittal deformity: Clinical and radiographic outcome of transpedicular wedge resection (Thomasen Osteotomy). Spine 2001;26:2036-2043
14. Berven S, Hu S, Deviren V, Smith J, Bradford D: Maintenance of mobile segments in the lumbar spine with endplate osteotomy: Clinical and Radiographic Results. (In press, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research)
15. Berven S, Kao H, Deviren V, Hu S, Bradford DS: The Management of Thoracic Pseudarthrosis: Is Combined Surgery Necessary? (In Press, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research)
16. Berven S, Deviren V, Smith J, Hu S, Bradford DS: Management of Fixed Sagittal Plane Deformity: Outcome of Combined Anterior and Posterior Surgery. (In Revision)
17. Berven S, Psychoyios V, Crawford R, Murray D, Lingard E, Zurakowski, D: Preoperative Disease Severity in Patients Undergoing Total Joint Replacement in Two Different Healthcare Delivery Systems. (In Preparation)
18. Berven S, Zurakowski D, Mankin HJ, Gebhardt M, Springfield D, Hornicek F: Clinical Outcomes in Chordoma: The Utility of Flow Cytometric DNA Determination. Spine 27(4):374-379, 2002
19. Berven S, Psychoyios V, Crawford R, Murray D, Lingard E, Zurakowski D: Outcome and Healthcare Delivery System in Total Knee Replacement Surgery. (In preparation)
20. Berven S, Bradford DS: Neurogenic Scoliosis- Evaluation and Management. Seminars in Neurology 22(2):167-178, 2002.
21. Berven S, Tay B, Colman W, Hu S: Lumbar Zygapophyseal Joints and Low Back Pain. Seminars in Neurology 22(2):187-195, 2002.
22. Smith JA, Deviren V, Berven S, Bradford DS: Does Instrumented Anterior Scoliosis Surgery Lead to Kyphosis, Pseudarthrosis, or Inadequate Correction in Adults? Spine 27(5):529-534, 2002.
23. Emami A, Deviren V, Berven S, Smith JA, Hu SS, Bradford DS: Outcome and complications of long fusions to the sacrum in adult spine deformity: Luque-Galveston, combined iliac and sacral screws and sacral fixation. Spine 27(7):776-798, 2002.
24. DeLeo RL, Kocher MS, Berven S, Kasser J: Coxa vara with proximal femoral growth arrest in patients who had neonatal extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. J Pediatr Orthop. 2003 Jan-Feb;23(1):20-6.
25. Tay BK, Berven S: Indications, Techniques, and Complications of Lumbar Interbody Fusion. Seminars in Neurology 22(2): 221-229, 2002.
26. Deviren V, Berven S, Kleinstueck F, Antinnes J, Smith JA, Hu SS, Bradford DS: Predictors of flexibility and pain patterns in Thoracolumbar and Lumbar Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine 27(21):2346-2349, 2002.
27. Berven S, Deviren V, Demir-Deviren S, Hu S, Bradford DS: Validation of the modified Scoliosis Research Society outcomes instrument (SRS-22) for adult deformity. Spine 2(5S):80S, 2002.
Articles Written by Sigurd H Berven, MD
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.