About Jacob M. Buchowski, MD, MS
Jacob M. Buchowski, MD, is an assistant professor of orthopaedic and neurological surgery and director for the Center for Spinal Tumors at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri.
He is a board-certified specialist in spinal tumors, metastatic spine disease, and complex reconstructive spine surgery of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine.
Dr. Buchowski earned his bachelor and master of science degrees in molecular biophysics and biochemistry from Yale University and his medical degree from The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He completed a residency in orthopaedic surgery at Johns Hopkins, where he served as administrative chief resident at The Johns Hopkins Hospital.
He was fellowship trained in adult and pediatric spine surgery in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Washington University School of Medicine, and he is a diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
- Lee KM, Yeom JS, Lee JO, Buchowski JM, Park KW, Chang BS, Lee CK, Riew KD. Optimal trajectory for the atlantooccipital transarticular screw. Spine 2010;35(16):1562-1570. (PMCID 20375856)
- Shen HX, Buchowski JM, Yeom JS, Liu G, Lin N, Riew KD. Pseudarthrosis in multi-level anterior cervical fusion with rhBMP-2 and allograft: analysis of 127 cases with minimum 2-year follow-up. Spine 2010;35(7):747-753. (PMCID 20228711)
- Liu G, Buchowski JM, Bunmaprasert T, Yeom JS, Shen H, Riew KD. Revision surgery following cervical laminoplasty: etiology and treatment strategies. Spine 2009;34(25):2760-2768. (PMCID 19940734)
- Buchowski JM, Anderson PA, Sekhon L, Riew KD. Cervical disc arthroplasty compared with arthrodesis for the treatment of myelopathy. Surgical Technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2009;91(Suppl 2):223-232. (PMCID 19805586)
- Maeda T, Buchowski JM, Kim YJ, Mishiro T, Bridwell KH. Long adult spinal deformity fusion to the sacrum using rhBMP-2 versus autogenous iliac crest bone graft. Spine 2009;34(20):2205-2212. (PMCID 19752707)
- O’Leary PT, Bridwell KH, Lenke LG, Good CR, Pichelmann MA, Buchowski JM, Kim YJ, Flynn J. Risk factors and outcomes for catastrophic failures at the top of long pedicle screw constructs: a matched cohort analysis performed at a single center. Spine 2009;34(20):2134-2139. (PMCID 19713876)
- Yeom JS, Buchowski JM, Park KW, Chang BS, Lee CK, Riew KD. A lateral fluoroscopic guide to prevent occipito-cervical and atlanto-axial joint violation during C1 lateral mass screw placement. Spine J 2009;9(7):574-579. (PMCID 19345614)
- Rose PS, Bridwell KH, Lenke LG, Cronen GA, Mulconrey DS, Buchowski JM, Kim YJ. Role of pelvic incidence, thoracic kyphosis, and patient factors on sagittal plane correction following pedicle subtraction osteotomy. Spine 2009;34(8):785-791. (PMCID 19365245)
- Rose PS, Lenke, LG, Bridwell KH, Mulconrey DS, Cronen GA, Buchowski JM, Schwend RM, Sides BA. Pedicle screw instrumentation for adult idiopathic scoliosis: an improvement over hook/hybrid fixation. Spine 2009;34(8):852-857. (PMCID 19365256)
- Yeom JS, Buchowski JM, Park KW, Chang BS, Lee CK, Riew KD. Undetected vertebral artery groove and foramen violations during C1 lateral mass and C2 pedicle screw placement. Spine 2008;33(25):E942-E949. (PMCID 19050571)
- Riew KD, Buchowski JM, Sasso R, Zdeblick T, Metcalf NH, Anderson PA. Cervical disc arthroplasty compared with arthrodesis for the treatment of myelopathy. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2008;90(11):2354-64. (PMCID 18978404)
- Buchowski JM, Kuhns CA, Bridwell KH, Lenke LG. Surgical management of post-traumatic thoracolumbar kyphosis. Spine J 2008;8(4):666-677. (PMCID 17662662)
- Yeom JS, Buchowski JM, Shen HX, Liu G, Bunmaprasert T, Riew KD. Effect of a fibrin sealant on drain output and length of stay after multi-level anterior cervical fusion. Spine 2008;33(16):E543-7. (PMCID 18628695)
- Lehman Jr. RA, Lenke LG, Keeeler KA, Kim YJ, Buchowski JM, Cheh G, Kuhns CA, Bridwell KH. Operative treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis with posterior pedicle screw-only constructs: minimum 3-year follow-up of 114 cases. Spine 2008;33(14):1598-1604. (PMCID 18552676)
- Buchowski JM, Liu G, Bunmaprasert T, Rose PS, Riew KD. Prospective anterior cervical fusion assessment: surgical exploration versus radiologic evaluation. Spine 2008;33(11):1185-91. (PMCID 1846991)
- Liu G, Buchowski JM, Shen HX, Yeom JS, Riew KD. The feasibility of microscope-assisted “free-hand” C1 lateral mass screw insertion without fluoroscopy. Spine 2008;33(9):1042-1049. (PMCID 18427327)
- Yeom JS, Lee JW, Park KW, Chang BS, Lee CK, Buchowski JM, Riew KD. Value of diagnostic lumbar selective nerve root block: a prospective controlled study. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2008;29(5):1017-23. (PMCID 18272560)
- Yeom JS, Kim KH, Hong SW, Park KW, Chang BS, Lee CK, Buchowski JM. A minimally invasive approach for intraforaminal disc herniations at the L5-S1 level: microdiscectomy using a tubular retractor via a contralateral approach. J Neurosurg Spine 2008;8:193-198. (PMCID 18248293)
- Kuhns CA, Bridwell KH, Lenke LG, Amor C, Lehman Jr. RA, Buchowski JM, Edwards C 2nd, Baldus C. Thoracolumbar deformity arthrodesis stopping at L5: fate of the L5-S1 disc, minimum 5-year follow-up. Spine 2007;32(24):2771-2776. (PMCID 18007259)
- Buchowski JM, Skaggs DL, Sponseller PD. Temporary internal distraction as an aid to correction of severe scoliosis. Surgical Technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2007;89:297-309. (PMCID 17768223)
- Buchowski JM, Bridwell KH, Lenke LG, Lehman Jr. RA, Kuhns CA, Kim YJ, Stewart D, Baldus C. Neurologic complications of lumbar pedicle subtraction osteotomy: a 10-year assessment. Spine 2007;32(20):2245-2252. (PMCID 17873818)
- Cheh G, Bridwell KH, Lenke LG, Buchowski JM, Daubs MD, Kim YJ, Baldus C. Adjacent segment disease following lumbar/thoracolumbar fusion with pedicle screw instrumentation: a minimum 5 year follow-up. Spine 2007;32(20):2253-2257. (PMCID 17873819)
- Okubadejo GO, Bridwell KH, Lenke LG, Buchowski JM, Fang DD, Baldus CR, Nielson CH, Lee CC. Aprotinin may decrease blood loss in complex adult spinal deformity surgery, but it may also increases the risk of acute renal failure. Spine 2007;32(20):2265-2271. (PMCID 17873821)
- Buchowski JM, Bhatnagar R, Skaggs DL, Sponseller PD. Temporary internal distraction as an aid to correction of severe scoliosis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2006;88(9):2035-2041. (PMCID 17768223)
- Pateder DB, Park YS, Kebaish KM, Cascio BM, Buchowski JM, Song EW, Shapiro MB, Kostuik JP. Spinal fusion after revision surgery for pseudarthrosis in adult scoliosis. Spine 2006;31(11):E314-9. (PMCID 16688021)
- Buchowski JM, Kebaish KM, Sinkov V, Cohen DB, Sieber AN, Kostuik JP. Functional and radiographic outcome of sacroiliac arthrodesis for the disorders of the sacroiliac joint. Spine J 2005;5(5):520-8. (PMCID 16153580)
- Buchowski JM, Helm PA, Huckell CB, Riley LH, Ahn NU, Ahn UM, Okubadejo GO, Zinreich SJ, Kostuik JP. Evaluation of anatomical and surface registration methods for the lumbar and cervical spine using a frameless stereotactic system. Am J Orthop 2003;32(2):90-97. (2nd place winner, American Journal of Orthopedics Resident Writer’s Award, awarded March 12, 2004.)
- Ahn NU, Klug RS, Noh S, Ahn UM, Hiranyashiti N, Crane B, Buchowski JM, Andersson GB, An HS. Smoking, smoking cessation, and wound complications after lumbar spine surgery. Spine J 2002;2(5 Suppl 1):113-114.
- Ahn UM, Ahn NU, Buchowski JM, Kebaish KM, Lee JH, Song ES, Lemma MA, Sieber AN, Kostuik JP. Functional outcome and radiographic correction after spinal osteotomy. Spine 2002;27(12):1308-1311. (PMCID 12065978)
- Nallamshetty L, Ahn NU, Ahn UM, Buchowski JM, An HS, Rose PS, Garrett ES, Erkula G, Kebaish KM, Sponseller PD. Plain radiography of the lumbosacral spine in Marfan syndrome. Spine J 2002;2(5):327-33. (PMCID 14589463)
- Ahn UM, Ahn NU, Nallamshetty L, Springer BD, Buchowski JM, Funches L, Garrett ES, Kostuik JP, Kebaish KM, Sponseller PD. Cauda equina syndrome in ankylosing spondylitis (the CES-AS syndrome): meta-analysis of outcomes after medical and surgical treatments. J Spinal Disord 2001;14(5):427-433. (PMCID 11586143)
- Ahn NU, Nallamshetty L, Ahn UM, Buchowski JM, Rose PS, Garrett ES, Kebaish KM, Sponseller PD. Dural ectasia and conventional radiography in the Marfan lumbosacral spine. Skeletal Radiol 2001;30(6):338-345
- Ahn NU, Ahn UM, Nallamshetty L, Rose PS, Buchowski JM, Garrett ES, Kebaish KM, Sponseller PD. The lumbar interpedicular distance is widened in adults with the Marfan syndrome. Acta Orthop Scand 2001;72(1):67-71.
- Ahn NU, Sponseller PD, Ahn UM, Nallamshetty L, Rose PS, Buchowski JM, Garrett ES, Kuszyk BS, Fishman EK, Zinreich SJ. Dural ectasia in the Marfan syndrome: MR and CT findings and criteria. Genet Med 2000;2(3):173-179. (PMCID 12177551)
- Huckell CB, Buchowski JM, Richardson WJ, Williams D, Kostuik JP. Functional outcome of plate fusions for disorders of the occipitocervical junction: a long-term follow-up. Clin Orthop 1999;359:136-145.
- Li Z, Bailey AD, Buchowski JM, Weiner AM. A tandem array of minimal U1 small nuclear RNA genes is sufficient to generate a new adenovirus type 12-inducible chromosome fragile site. J Virol 1998;72:4205-4211. (PMCID 9557709)
Case Studies Presented by Jacob M. Buchowski, MD, MS
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.