About Sanford E. Emery, MD, MBA
Sanford E. Emery, MD, MBA, is professor and chairman of the Department of Orthopaedics at West Virginia University.
Dr. Emery's internship and residency was at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, New York.
He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is also a member of several professional medical societies, including the Scoliosis Research Society and the North American Spine Society. In addition, Dr. Emery is the director-elect of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
- Emery SE, Gifford JF: 100 years of tennis elbow. Contemporary Orthopaedics, Vol 12(4), p 53, April 1986.
- Emery SE, Chan DPK, Woodward HR: Treatment of hematogenous pyogenic vertebral osteomyelitis with anterior debridement and primary bone grafting. Spine, Vol 14 (3), pp 284-291, March 1989.
- Bohlman HH, Emery SE: The pathophysiology of cervical spondylosis and myelopathy. Spine, Vol 13 (7), pp 843-846, July 1988.
- Emery SE, Pathria MN, Wilber RG, Masaryk T, Bohlman HH: Magnetic resonance imaging of posttraumatic spinal ligament injury. Journal of Spinal Disorders, Vol 2 (4),pp 229-233, June 1989.
- Ross JS, Blaser S, Masaryk TJ, Emery SE, Bolesta M, Carter J, Aikawa M, Modic MT: Gadolinium DTPA enhancement of posterior epidural scar: an experimental model. American Journal of Neuroradiology, Vol 10 (5), pp 1083-1088, September-October 1989.
- Emery SE, Smith MD, Bohlman HH: Upper airway obstruction after multilevel cervical corpectomy for myelopathy. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol 73-A (4), pp 544-551, April 1991.
- Smith MD, Emery SE, Dudley A, Leventhal M: Vertebral artery injury during anterior decompression of the cervical spine: a retrospective review of ten patients. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol 75-B (3), pp 410-415, May 1993.
- Bohlman HH, Emery SE, Goodfellow DB, Jones PK: Robinson anterior cervical discectomy and arthrodesis for cervical radiculopathy: long term follow-up of one hundred and twenty-two patients. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol 75-A (9), pp 1298-1307, September 1993.
- Emery SE, Hughes SS, Junglas WA, Herrington S, Pathria MN: The fate of anterior vertebral bone grafts in patients irradiated for neoplasm. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, (300), pp 207-212, March 1994.
- Emery SE, Bolesta MJ, Banks MA, Jones PK: Robinson anterior cervical fusion: comparison of the standard and modified techniques. Spine, Vol 19 (6), pp 660-663, March 15, 1994.
- Abdu WA, Wilber RG, Emery SE: Pedicular transvertebral screw fixation of the lumbosacral spine in spondylolisthesis -- a new technique for stabilization. Spine, Vol 19(6), pp 710-715, March 15, 1994.
- Emery SE, Brazinski MS, Koka A, Bensusan JS, Stevenson S: The biological and biomechanical effects of irradiation on anterior spinal bone grafts in a canine model. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol 76-A (4), pp 540-548, April 1994.
- Bouchard JA, Koka A, Bensusan JS, Stevenson S, Emery SE: Effects of irradiation on posterior spinal fusions: a rabbit model. Spine, Vol 19(16), pp 1836-1841, August 15, 1994.
- Petersilge CA, Pathria MN, Emery SE, Masaryk TJ: Thoracolumbar burst fractures: evaluation with MR imaging. Radiology, Vol 194 (1), pp 49-54, January 1995.
- Kirkpatrick JS, Wilber RG, Likavec M, Emery SE, Ghanayem A: Anterior stabilization of thoracolumbar burst fractures using the Kaneda device. Orthopedics, Vol 18 (7), pp 673-678, July 1995.
- Feighan JE, Stevenson S, Emery SE: Biological and biomechanical evaluation of posterior lumbar fusion in the rabbit: the effect of fixation rigidity. Spine, Vol 20 (14), pp 1561-1567, July 15, 1995.
- Stevenson S, Emery SE, Goldberg VM: Factors affecting bone graft incorporation. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, (324), pp 66-74, March 1996.
- Petersilge CA, Emery SE: Thoracolumbar burst fracture: evaluating stability. Seminars in Ultrasound, CT, and MRI, Vol 17 (2), pp 105-113, April 1996.
- Emery SE, Heller JG, Petersilge CA, Bolesta MJ, Whitesides TE: Tibial stress fracture after a graft has been obtained from the fibula. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol 78-A (8), pp 1248-1251, August 1996.
- Fuller DA, Stevenson S, Emery SE: The effects of internal fixation on calcium carbonate ceramic anterior spinal fusion in dogs. Spine, Vol 21 (18), pp 2131-2136, Sept. 1996.
- Emery SE, Fuller DA, Stevenson S: Ceramic anterior spinal fusion: biologic and biomechanical comparison in a canine model. Spine, Vol 21 (23), pp 2713-2719, Dec. 1, 1996.
- Phillips FM, Carlson G, Emery SE, Bohlman HH: Anterior cervical pseudarthrosis: natural history and treatment. Spine, Vol 22 (14), pp 1585-1589, July 15, 1997.
- Emery SE, Fisher JR, Bohlman HH: Three-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: radiographic and clinical results. Spine, Vol 22 (22), pp 2622-2624, Nov. 15, 1997.
- Fuller DA, Kirkpatrick JS, Emery SE, Wilber RG, Davy DT: A kinematic study of the cervical spine before and after segmental arthrodesis. Spine, Vol 23 (15), pp 1649-1656, August 1, 1998.
- Emery SE, Bohlman HH, Bolesta MJ, Jones PK: Anterior cervical decompression and arthrodesis for the treatment of cervical spondylotic myelopathy. two to seventeen-year follow-up. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol 80-A (7), pp 941-951, July 1998.
- Emery SE: In situ decompression and fusion techniques for spondylolisthesis. Seminars in Spine Surgery, Vol 11 (1), pp 34-47, March 1999.
- Emery SE: Surgical management of cervical myelopathy. Instructional Course Lectures(AAOS), Vol 48, pp 423-426, 1999.
- Hilibrand AS, Fye MA, Emery SE, Palumbo MA, Bohlman HH: Impact of smoking on the outcome of anterior cervical arthrodesis with interbody or strut-grafting. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol 83-A (5), pp 668-673, May 2001.
- Emery SE: Cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Vol 9 (6), pp 376-388, November-December, 2001.
- Hilibrand AS, Fye MA, Emery SE, Palumbo MA, Bohlman HH: Increased rate of arthrodesis with strut grafting after multilevel anterior cervical decompression. Spine, Vol 27 (8), pp 146-151, January 15, 2002.
- Cannada LK, Scherping SC, Yoo JU, Jones PK, Emery SE: Pseudarthrosis of the cervical spine: a comparison of radiographic diagnostic measures. Spine, Vol. 28 (1), pp 46-50, January 1, 2003.
- Wang JC, Hart RA, Emery SE, Bohlman HH: Graft migration or displacement after multilevel cervical corpectomy and strut grafting. Spine, Vol 28 (10), pp 1016-1021, May 15, 2003.
- Carlson G, Oliff H, Anderson P, Emery S, Yoo J, Hughes S, Bohlman H: Neurological injuries associated with post-operative lumbar epidural hematoma, submitted to Spine, May 2002.
- Milam, A, Emery, S. Anterior Approach for Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy, Seminars in Spine Surgery, Volume 16, (1), pp 16-34, March 2004.
- Belanger T, Roh J, Hanks S, Kang J, Emery S, Bohlman H: Ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament, The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, Vol. 87, pp 610–615, March 2005.
- Chin KR, Kuntz AF, Bohlman HH, Emery SE: Changes in the iliac crest-lumbar relationship from standing to prone, Spine, pp 185-9, January 2006.
- Hughes S, Pringle T, Phillips F, Emery S: Settling of fibula strut grafts following multilevel anterior cervical corpectomy, Spine, Vol. 31, pp1911-1915, August 2006.
- Kwon B, Furey CG, Rowbottom J, Emery SE. Risk factors for delayed extubation after single-staged, multi-level anterior cervical decompression and posterior fusion, J Spinal Disord Tech, pp 389-393, August 2006.
- Emery SE, Gregory C. Physician incentives for academic productivity. An analysis of orthopaedic department compensation strategies, J Bone Joint Surg Am, pp 2049-2056, September 2006.
- Hughes SS, Pringle T, Phillips F, Emery SE: Settling of fibula strut grafts following multilevel anterior cervical corpectomy: a radiographic evaluation, Spine, pp1911-5, August 2006.
- Weinstein JN, Lurie JD, Tosteson TD, Hanscom B, Tosteson AN, Blood EA, Birkmeyer NJ, Hillibrand AS, Herkowitz H, Cammisa FP, Albert TJ, Emery SE, Lanke LG, Abdu WA, Longley M, Errico TJ, Hu SS: Surgical versus nonsurgical treatment for lumbar degenerative spondylolisthesis, New England Journal of Medicine, pp 2257-70, May 2007.
- Pearson AM, Blood EA, Frymoyer JW, Herkowitz H, Abdu WA, Woodward R, Longley M, Emery SE, Lurie JD, Tosteson TD, Weinstein JN: SPORT lumbar intervertebral disk herniation and back pain: does treatment, location, or morphology matter? Spine, pp 428-35, February 2008.
- Yee AJ, Yoo JU, Marsolais EB, Carlson G, Poe-Kochert C, Bohlman HH, Emery SE: Use of a postoperative lumbar corset after lumbar spinal arthrodesis for degenerative conditions of the spine. A prospective randomized trial, J Bone Surg Am, pp 2062-6, October 2008.
- Emery SE, Akhavan S, Miller P, Furey C, Yoo J, Rowbottom J, Bohlman H: Steroids risk factors for airway compromise in multilevel cervical corpectomy patients. A prospective, randomized, double-blind study, Spine, pp229-232, February 2009.
- Emery SE, Waddell JP, Wadell AE, McCaslin M, Black K: Orthopaedic Education–Are we attracting the best and the brightest? J Bone Joint Surg Am, pp1253-1263, May 2009.
- Chen S, Emery SE, Pei M: Coculture of synovium-derived stem cells and nucleus pulposus cells in serum-free defined medium with supplementation of transforming growth factor-beta1: a potential application of tissue-specific stem cells in disc regeneration, Spine, pp 1272-80, May 2009.
- Abdu WA, Lurie JD, Spratt KF, Tosteson AN, Zhao W, Tosteson TD, Herkowitz H, Longely M, Boden SD, Emery SE, Weinstein JN: Degenerative spondylolisthesis does fusion method influence outcome? Four-year results of the spine patient outcomes research trial, Spine, pp 2351-2360, 2009.
- Emery SE, Bohlman HH: Osteoarthritis of the C-spine, Chapter 26. In Osteoarthritis, Diagnosis and Management. RW Moskowitz, DS Howell, VM Goldberg, HJ Mankin, eds, WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, 2nd edition, 1992.
- Emery SE: The cervical and thoracic spine. In Orthopaedics: Problems in Primary Care. RE Marcus, ed, Practice Management Information Corporation, Los Angeles, 1991.
- Emery SE, Bohlman HH: Anterior decompression of cervical myelopathy associated with cervical spondylosis and deformity. In Disorders of the Cervical Spine. MB Camins, PF O'Leary, eds, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 1992.
- Bohlman HH, Emery SE: Complications of treatment of fractures and dislocations of the cervical spine. In Complications of Orthopaedic Surgery. Charles Epps, ed, JB Lippincott, Philadelphia, 3rd edition, 1994.
- Emery SE: Cervical spondylotic radiculopathy and myelopathy. In Spinal Medicine and Surgery: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Arthur White, ed, Mosby-Year Book Inc, 1995.
- Emery SE: Anterior retroperitoneal lumbar exposures. In Surgical Approaches to the Spine. RA Balderston, TJ Albert, eds, pp 145-156, WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia, 1997.
- Emery SE, Bolesta MJ: Complications of cervical spine surgery. In The Textbook of Spinal Surgery. KH Bridwell, RL DeWald, eds, 2nd edition, Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, 1997.
- Emery SE: Anterior approach for cervical myelopathy. In The Cervical Spine. Charles R. Clark, ed, Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, 3rd edition, 1998.
- Emery SE: Cervical disc disease and cervical spondylosis. In Principles and Techniques in Spine Surgery. Howard An, ed, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 1998.
- Emery SE: Cervical degenerative disc disorders. In Orthopaedic Knowledge Update - 6. James H. Beaty, ed, pp 673-680, AAOS, Rosemont, Illinois, 1999.
- Emery SE, Oro J: Cervical infections. In The Failed Spine. Scott Boden, Henry Bohlman, eds, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003.
- Emery SE: Surgical considerations in osteoarthritis--the cervical spine. In Osteoarthritis. R. Moskowitz et al, eds, Saunders, 3rd edition, Philadelphia, 1992.
- Emery SE: Vertebral osteomyelitis. In Spinal Deformities. Scoliosis Research Society, New York, 2003.
- Emery SE: Inflammatory arthritis of the spine. In Spinal Deformities. Scoliosis Research Society, New York, 2003.
- Emery SE: Cervical spondylotic myelopathy and cervical kyphosis. In Surgery of the Cervical Spine. Sanford Emery and Scott Boden, eds, WB Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, 2003.
- Fye, MA, Emery SE: Anterior cervical reconstruction and internal fixation. In Surgery of the Cervical Spine. Sanford Emery and Scott Boden, ed., WB Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, 2003.
- Emery SE: Primary and metastatic tumors of the cervical spine. In Surgery of the Cervical Spine. Sanford Emery and Scott Boden, eds, WB Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, 2003.
- Emery SE, Boden SD: Rheumatoid arthritis of the cervical spine. In Surgery of the Cervical Spine. Sanford Emery and Scott Boden, eds, WB Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, 2003.
- Bohlman, HH, Emery SE: The cervical spine in ankylosing spondylitis. In Surgery of the Cervical Spine. Sanford Emery and Scott Boden, eds, WB Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, 2003.
- Emery SE: Summary: anterior and/or posterior--when to go anterior or posterior? In: Clark CR, Benzel EC, Currier BL, et al, eds. The Cervical Spine. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2004.
- Emery, SE: Anterior decompression for myelopathy; corpectomy. In The Cervical Spine Surgical Atlas, Harry Herkowitz, ed., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2nd edition, 2004.
- Traynelis V, Saunders R, Emery SE: Interbody strut techniques. In Spine Surgery Techniques: Complication Avoidance and Management, Edward Benzel, ed, WB Saunders 2nd edition, 2004..
- Emery SE: Thoracic disc disease and myelopathy. In The Adult and Pediatric Spine, John Frymoyer, Sam Wiesel, eds, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 3rd edition, 2005.
- Chin K, Emery SE: Surgical management of rheumatoid arthritis. In The Spine, H. Herkowitz, S. Garfin, et al. eds. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA; 2006.
- Cronen GA, Emery SE: Benign and malignant lesions of the spine. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 3rd edition, pp 351-366, 2006.
- Chen S, Emery SE, Pei M: Coculture of synovium-derived stem cells and nucleus pulposus cells in serum-free defined medium with supplementation of transforming growth factor-1. Spine, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2009.
- Emery SE, Boden S., eds: Surgery of the Cervical Spine. WB Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, 2003.
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.