Louis G. Jenis, MD
The Boston Spine Group, LLC
Louis G. Jenis, MD received his medical degree from Boston University School of Medicine. Dr. Jenis completed a general surgical internship and an orthopedic surgery research fellowship at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center Department of Surgery. He also completed a fellowship in reconstructive spine surgery at the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin. In 2000 Dr, Jenis was awared the North American Spine Society Clinical traveling Fellowship and was also awarded the American Orthopedic Association/Japanese Orthopedic Association Traveling Fellowship in 2004.
Dr. Jenis is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is a member of the Cervical Spine Research Society, The North American Spine Society, International Society for the Study of The Lumbar Spine, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Medical Association, and the Massachusetts Medical Society.
Dr. Jenis manages multiple research endeavors including basic science projects investigating the efficacy of bone morphogenetic proteins, clinical studies involving cervical and lumbar fusion, prosthetic disc replacement, and minimally invasive spine surgery.
Dr. Jenis is Co-Chair of Residents Education and Graduate Medical Education at the New England Baptist Hospital. He is an Clinical Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at Tufts University School of Medicine.
1. Jenis LG, et al.: Effect of Gallium Nitrate in Vitro and in Normal Rats. J Cell Biochem 52:330, 1993.
2. Jenis LG, et al.: 1A, 25- Dihydroxyvitamin D3 Induced Changes in Intracellular pH in Osteoblast- Like Cells Modulate Gene Expression. J Cell Biochem 53: 234, 1993.
3. Jenis LG, et al.: Etidronate Inhibits the Thyroid Hormone Induced Bone Loss in Rats Assessed by Bone Mineral Density and Messenger Ribonucleic Acid Markers of Osteoblast and Osteoclast Function. Endocrinology 13: 2502, 1993.
4. Jenis LG, et al.: Responsiveness of Gene Expression Markers of Osteoblastic and Osteoclastic Activity to Calcitonin in the Appendicular and Axial Skeleton of the Rat in vivo. Calcif Tiss Int 54:511. 1994
5. Jenis LG, Leclair WJ: Late Vascular Complication with Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. Spine 19:1291, 1994
6. Jenis LG, et al.: Complete Vertebral Fracture/Dislocation of the Cervical Spine with Minimal Neurologic Deficit. J Orthop Trauma 10:173, 1996
7. Jenis, LG, Dunn, EJ, An, H.S.: Metastatic Disease of the Cervical Spine - A Review. Clin Ortho Rel Res 359: 89-103, 1999.
8. Seybold, ES, Dunn, EJ, Jenis, LG: Variation in the Posterior Vertebral Contour Line At the Level of C2 on Lateral Cervical Roentgenograms: a Method for Odontoid Fracture Detection. Am J Ortho 12:696-701, 1999.
9. Jenis, L.G., An, H.S., Stein, R., Young, B.: A Prospective Comparison of DC and PEMF Forms of Electrical Stimulation in Posterolateral Lumbar Spine Fusion. Journal Spinal Disorders 13:290-296, 2000.
10. Jenis L.G., An, HS: Neck Pain Secondary to Radiculopathy of the Fourth Cervical Root: An Analysis of 12 Surgically Treated Patients. Journal Spinal Disorders 13:345-349, 2000.
11. Jenis, L.G., An, H.S., Simpson, J.M.: A Prospective Comparison of the Standard and Reverse Robinson Grafting Techniques: Radiographic and Clinical Analyses. Journal Spinal Disorders 13:369-373, 2000.
12. Jenis, L.G., An, H.S., Gordon, R: Foraminal Stenosis of the Lumbar Spine: A Review of Sixty-Five Surgical Cases. American Journal of Orthopedics 30:205-211, March, 2001.
13. Banco, S. P., Jenis, L.G., Tromanhauser, S.G., et.al: The Use of Cervical Cages for the Treatment of Cervical Disc Disease. Current Opinion in Orthopaedics 2002, 13:220-223.
14. Jenis, L.G., Wheeler, D., et.al: The Effect of Osteogenic Protein-1 in Instrumented and Noninstrumented Posterolateral Fusion in Rabbits. The Spine Journal 2: 173-178, May/June 2002.
15. Jenis, LG, Banco, S, Jaquemin, J, Lin, K The Effect of Posterior Cervical Distraction on Foraminal Dimensions Utilizing a Screw-Rod System. Spine 29: 763-766, 2004. 16. Jenis, LG, Shore, J, Adult Spondylolisthesis. Orthopaedic Knowledge Online, AAOS, 2004.
1. Dunn E, Jenis LG: The Modified Cloward Procedure- In: The Cervical Spine, 3rd ed., Cervical Spine Research Society, Philadelphia; Lippincott 1997.
2. Dunn E, Jenis LG: Anterior Approach to Cervical Spondylosis. In: Cervical Spondylosis and Similar Disorders in the Cervical Spine. Ono K (ed.), River Edge, NJ: World Scientific Publishing. 1998.
3. Dunn E, Jenis LG: Morbidity and mortality of the Surgical Approach to Cervical Spondylosis. In: Cervical Spondylosis and Similar Disorders in the Cervical Spine- Ono K (ed.), River Edge NJ: World Scientific Publishing. 1998
4. H, Jenis LG: Low lumbar burst fractures- Surgical Management. In Controversies in Spine Surgery, Zdeblick, T. (Ed.) Quality Medical Publishing, St. Louis, MO 1998.
5. An H, Jenis, LG: Posterolateral fusion (options for bone graft) In Spine: State of the Art Reviews. Vol. 11, pg. 277, 1997.
6. Jenis, LG, An, HS: Anterior Instrumentation in Thoracolumbar Trauma and Tumors In Seminars in Spine Surgery, vol. 9, pg 250-259, (Ed.) S. Boden, W. E Saunders, Phil 1997.
7. Jenis, LG: Adult Thoracolumbar Spine Trauma in Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 6, Beaty, J. (Ed), American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 1999.
8. Jenis, LG, An, HS: Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion for Spondylolisthesis. In Seminars in Spine Surgery, vol. 11, pg. 56-66, (Ed.) S. Boden, W.E. Saunders, Phil. 1999.
9. Jenis, LG, An, HS: Principles of Spinal Instrumentation in Degenerative Disorders of the Lumbar Spine In Spinal Instrumentation, 2nd Ed., An, HS (ED.), pg. 121-130, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Phil. 1999.
10. Jenis, LG, An, HS: Lumbar Foraminal Stenosis. Spine 25:389-394, 2000.
11. Jenis, LG, An, HS: Cervical Disc Disease. In Chapman's Orthopaedic Surgery, 3rd Edition, Vol. 3, pg. 3747-3764, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Phil. 2001.
12. Jenis, LG, An, HS: Lumbar Spondylolisthesis In Orthopaedics. ED. Fitzgerald, R., pg. 1138-1145, Mosby, St. Louis, 2002.
13. Banco, SP, Jenis, LG, Tromanhauser, SG, Rand, F, Banco, RJ, The Use of Cervical Cages for Treatment of Cervical Disc Disease. Current Opinion in Orthopaedics. 13:220-223, 2002.
14. Jenis, LG, Jaquemin, J, Surgical Management of an L5 Burst Fracture With a Neurologic Deficit. In: Topics in Spinal Cord Injury/Rehabilitation, Vol 8 #2 ,Ed. Vaccaro, A, Vanderveldt, G, Thomas Land Publisher, 2002.
15. Jenis, LG, An, HS, Lumbar Spine: Trauma, In: The Failed Spine, Ed. Boden,S. Bohlman, H, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, Phil., 2003.
16. K.H. Lin, Jenis, LG Lumbar Degenerative Spondylolisthesis. In Seminars in spine Surgery, vol. 15, pg.150-159. (Ed) S. Boden, W.E. Saunders, Phil. 2003.
17. Jenis, LG, Kim, D., An, HS: Cervical Radiculopathy. In Frymoyer, Weisel, The Adult and Pediatric Spine, 3rd Edition, Vol. 2, pg. 689-700, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Phil. 2004.
18. Jenis, LG, Essentials of Musculoskeletal Imaging, Section Editor - Spine. AAOS, 2004.
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.