About Michael G. Neuwirth, MD
Dr. Michael Neuwirth is a Professor of Orthopaedics at The Mount Sinai School of Medicine. Prior to moving his practice to Mount Sinai Hospital, he was the Director of the Spine Institute of New York at Beth Israel Medical Center.
Dr. Neuwirth's practice is strictly limited to spinal surgery with areas of special expertise in complex spinal deformities in adults and children, cervical spine and lumbar spine. He is a frequent lecturer to local and international groups and is the author of the Scoliosis Handbook, which is a book written for patients of scoliosis. Dr. Neuwirth has written extensively on scoliosis and is widely published in the field.
A native New Yorker, Dr. Neuwirth earned his undergraduate degree with distinction from Cornell University. In 1979, he joined the Mount Sinai School of Medicine as Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthopaedics. In 1995, he was named Associate Clinical Professor of Orthopaedics at the New York University School of Medicine. Dr. Neuwirth has served on the board of the Scoliosis Research Society.
Director, Spine Institute of New York, Beth Israel Medical Center
Chief, Scoliosis Service and Spine Services, Hospital for Joint Diseases
Associate Clinical Professor, New York University School of Medicine, Orthopedics
Education and Training
Undergraduate: Cornell University (BA with Distinction), Ithaca, NY
Medical School: S.U.N.Y. Downstate Medical School (Cum Laude), Brooklyn, NY
Surgery Internship: Kings County Hospital, Brooklyn, NY
Orthopedic Residency: Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY
Spine Fellowship: Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, IL
Licensure and Certifications
New York State Board for Medicine (Licensure)
American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
American College of Surgeons
New York Academy of Medicine
New York County Medical Society
New York State Medical Society
New York State Society of Orthopedic Surgeons
North American Spine Society (NASS)
Scoliosis Research Society (SRS), Board Member
SRS, Instrumentation Committee, Chairman
SRS, Core Curriculum, Section Leader " The Scoliosis Association
Cervical, Thoracic, and Lumbar
Complex Spinal Deformities in adults and children
1. Neuwirth MG: Well-Leg Traction in the Treatment of CDH, Graduate Thesis, Bulletin Hosp J Dis 1974.
2. Neuwirth MG: Stress fracture after high tibial osteotomy: A case report. Bulletin Hosp J Dis 1978;39(1) :92.
3. DeWald R, Faut M. Taddonio R, Neuwirth MG: Severe lumbosacral spondylolisthesis in adolescents and children. J Bone Joint Surg 1981;63A(4) :619.
4. Gross C, Graham J, Neuwirth MG, Pugh J: Scoliosis and growth: A review. Proc Scoliosis Res Soc 1981;45.
5. Neuwirth MG: Dysplastic and isthmic spondylolisthesis. Bull Hosp J Dis 1981;41 :95.
6. Gross C, Graham J, Neuwirth MG, Pugh J. "Three-dimensional lordosimeter: A device for the non-radiographic assessment of spinal configuration, Bull Hosp J Dis 1982;42(2) :151.
7. Gross C, Graham J, Neuwirth MG, Pugh J. Scoliosis and growth: A review, CClin Orthop Rel Research 1983;175 :243.
8. Greenspan A, Klein MJ, Bennett AJ, Lewis MD, Neuwirth MG, Camins MB: Vertebral hemangioma with spinal cord compression: Case report 242. Skeletal Radiol 1983;10 :183.
9. Neuwirth MG: Segmental spinal instrumentation: A historic review and current concepts. Bull Hosp J Dis 43(1) :49, 1983.
10. Neuwirth MG: Current techniques in the surgical treatment of idiopathic scoliosis. Backtalk 3, 1983.
11. Nainzadeh N, Lane M, Graham J, Neuwirth MG, Bernstein R. Somatosensory-evoked potentials (SSEP) obtained by simultaneous stimulation of the superficial peroneal and posterior tibial nerves as indicators of spinal cord function during spinal surgery. Electroenceph Clin Neurophysiol 1983;56(3) :S140.
12. Neuwirth MG, Camins MB: Spinal stenosis: A discussion of patient management. Mediguide to Orthop 1985;6(1).
13. Nainzadeh N, Neuwirth MG, Bernstein R, Lane M; Accuracy of intraoperative epidural recording of evoked potentials using a modified epidural electrode. Electroenceph Clin Neurophysiol 1985;61(3) :28.
14. Nainzadeh N, Graham J, Neuwirth MG, Evans M: Use of pudendal nerve stimulation for intraoperative spinal cord monitoring during anterior and/or posterior spinal fusion of L5-S1. Muscle Nerve 1986;9(7) :655.
15. Baker ND, Klein M, Greenspan A, Neuwirth MG: Symptomatic vertebral hemangiomas: A report of four cases, Skeletal Radiol 1986;15 :458.
16. Yang EC, Neuwirth MG: Pseudomonas aeruginosa as a causative agent of cervical osteomyelitis: A case report and review of the literature. Clin Orthop Rel Research: 231, 1988.
17. Reich S, Kuflik P, Neuwirth MG: Translaminar facet screw fixation in the lumbar spine. Spine 1993;18(4) :444.
18. Neuwirth MG, Drummond DS, Casden A: The results of interspinous process segmental instrumentation in the sagittal plane. Journ Spinal Dis 1993;6(1) :1-4.
19. Margulies JY, Frankel VH, Neuwirth MG, Robin CC: Osteoporosis management and hospital strategy. Hospital Practice 1993;28 :22-23.
20. Mirovsky Y, Neuwirth MG, Halperin N: Automated percutaneous discectomy for reherniations of lumbar discs. Journ Spinal Dis 1994;7(2) :181-184.
21. Spivak JM, Neuwirth MG, Labiak JJ, Kummer FJ, Ricci JL: Hydroxyapatite-enhancement of posterior spinal instrumentation fixation. Spine 1994;19(8) :955-964.
22. Marsicano J, Mirovsky Y, Remer S, Bloom N, Neuwirth MG: Thrombotic occlusion of the left common iliac artery after an anterior retroperitoneal approach to the lumbar spine. Spine 1994;19(3) :357-359.
23. Spivak JM, Neuwirth MG, Giordano CP, Bloom N: The perioperative course of combined anterior and posterior spinal fusion. Spine 1994;19(5) :520-525.
24. Margulies JY, Neuwirth MG, Puri R, Farcy FV, Mirovsky Y: Cotrel Dubousset and Wisconsin segmental spine instrumentation: Comparison of results in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis king type II. Contemporary Orthopaedics, April, 1995.
25. Margulies JY, Payzer, A, Nyska M, Neuwirth, MG, Floman Y, Robin, GC. The relationship between degenerative changes and osteoporosis in the lumbar spine. Clin Orthop Rel Research: in press.
26. Friend, KD, Koval, KJ, Mirovsky Y, Remer SS, Bloom N, Neuwirth, MG. Fracture of the iliac crest following bone grafting: a case report and literature review. Bulletin Hospital for Joint Diseases, Vol. 54, No. 1, 1995.
27. Rosenberg AD, Neuwirth MG, Kagen LJ, Singh K, Fischer HD, Bernstein RL. Intraoperative rhabdomyolysis in a patient receiving pravastatin, a 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl Coenzyme A (HMG CoA) Reductase Inhibitor. a case report. Anesth Analg, 1995;81 :1089-91.
28. Neuwirth M, Marsicano J. Cervical spondylosis: Diagnosis, symptomatology, and treatment. Ortho Nursing, 1996;15 :31-36.
29. Margulies JY, Payzer A, Nyska M, Neuwirth MG, Floman Y, Robin GC: The relationship between degenerative changes and osteoporosis in the lumbar spine.Clin Orthop Rel Research, 1996;324 :145-152.
30. Rokito SE, Schwartz MC, Neuwirth MG: Deep vein thrombosis after major reconstructive spinal surgery. Spine, 1996;21(7) :853-859.
31. Petraco DM, Spivak JM, Cappadona JG, Kummer, FJ, Neuwirth MG: An anatomic evaluation of L5 nerve stretch in spondylolisthesis reduction. Spine, 1996;21(10) :1133-1139.
32. Cohen J, Lee KS, Henry G, Butusova M, Slimbacker AM, Neuwirth MG: Intraoperative arterial line artifact associated with SSEPs and Motor evoked potentials. Am J End Technol, 1999; 39:165-172.
33. Cohen J, Lee KS, Henry G, Neuwirth, MG, Kuflik PL, Casden AM, Bitan FD. Intraoperative arterial line artifact associated with SSEPs and Motor Evoked Potentials. Am. J. End Technol. 39:165-172, 1999.
34. Mirovsky Y, Neuwirth M. Injuries to the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve during spine surgery. Spine, 2000;25:1266-1269.
35. Bitan FB, Neuwirth MG, Kuflik PL, Casden A, Bloom N, Siggiqui S. The use of short and rigid anterior instrumentation in the treatment of idiopathic thoracolumbar scoliosis. A retrospective review of 24 cases. Spine, 2002; 27:1553-57.
1. Neuwirth MG: Spinal stenosis. In The Textbook of Spinal Surgery. K. Bridwell and R. DeWald, eds. Lippincott, 1991.
2. Neuwirth MG: Degenerative spondylolisthesis. In The Textbook of Spinal Surgery. K. Bridwell and R. DeWald, eds. Lippincott, 1991.
3. Neuwirth MG: Spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis in children and adults. In The Lumbar Spine, Raven Press, 1987.
4. Meislin RJ, Neuwirth MG, Bloom ND: Tumors of the spinal column. In Musculoskeletal Oncology: A Multidisciplinary Approach, M. Lewis, ed., W.B. Saunders, 1991.
5. Margulies JY, Neuwirth MG, Floman Y: Tumoral fractures of Thoracolumbar Spine. Y. Floman, J.P.C. Farcy, C. Argenson, eds. Dover Publications, New York, 1993.
6. Neuwirth MG, Margulies JY: Spinal stabilization: Is fusion the right way? In Spinal Stability. Holzman, ed. Springer Verlag, New York, 1993.
7. Margulies JY, Neuwirth MG, Robin GC: Spine. State of the art reviews complex spinal deformity. J.P.C. Farcy, eds. Hanley and Belfust, Philadelphia, 1994.
8. Bendo JA, Neuwirth MG: Adult spine - Tumors. In Spivak JM, DiCesare PE, Feldman DS, Koval KJ, Rokito AS, Zuckerman JD (eds): Orthopaedics: A Study Guide, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1999.
9. Letko, LJ, Neuwirth MG: Adult spine - Infections. In Spivak JM, DiCesare PE, Feldman DS, Koval KJ, Rokito AS, Zuckerman JD (eds): Orthopaedics: A Study Guide, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1999.
10. Neuwirth MG, Blam OG, Hopkins G: Posterior spinal fixation for Thorocolumbar spinal trauma. In Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery. The Spine.
1. Lumbosacral and spinopelvic fixation. JY Margulies, Y Floman, JPC Farcy, MG Neuwirth, eds. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, May, 1996.
2. The Textbook of Spinal Surgery: K Bridwell and R Dewald, M Neuwirth eds. Lippincott 1995 - Associate. Editor.
3. "Deformities" in Spinal Deformities: The Comprehensive Text. M Neuwirth, R Dewald, V Arlet, A Carl, M O'Brien eds. Thieme, 2000.
1. The Scoliosis Sourcebook. MG Neuwirth, K Osborn, authors. Contemporary Books, 2001.
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.