About Richard Derby, MD
Richard Derby, MD is Medical Director of Spinal Diagnostics and Treatment Center as well as CEO of Comprehensive Spine Diagnostics Medical Group in Daly City, CA. He is a board certified anesthesiologist who also serves as Associate Clinical Professor at Stanford University's Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Stanford, CA.
Dr. Derby completed his undergraduate degree at Stanford University and received a Medical Degree from the University of California at Irvine. He completed his residency at the University of California at San Francisco.
Dr. Derby is an active member of several professional societies, including the American Society of Anesthesiologists, North American Spine Society (NASS), International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine, International Intradiscal Therapy Society and is a Founding Member of the International Spinal Injection Society (ISIS).
Further, Dr. Derby holds journal, editorial and review committee memberships for several professional publications, including The Clinic Journal of Pain, Spine, Pain Digest, The Pain Medicine Journal Club, and The Spine Journal.
Dr. Derby has participated in more than 70 invited lectures, presentations and workshops and is a prolific published author.
- O'Neill C W, Kurgansky M E, Derby R, Ryan D P. Disc Stimulation and Patterns of Referred Pain. Spine 2002 in press
- Linetsky FS, Eek B, Derby R, Parris W C V. Regenerative injection therapy. In: Low Back Pain, Diagnosis and Treatment. Edited by Manchikanti, Slipman, Fellows, American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians Publishing, USA, 2002. 519-540.
- Derby R, Howard M, Grant J, et al. The Ability of Pressure Controlled Discography to Predict Surgical and Non-surgical Outcomes. Spine 1999. 24(4): 364-371.
- O'Neill C, Derby R, Kenderes L. Precision Injection Techniques for Diagnosis and Treatment of Lumbar Disc Disease. Seminars in Spine Surgery 1999. 11(2): 104-118.
- Kaplan M, Derby R: Epidural Corticosteroid Injections: When, Why and How. The Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicine. September, 1998.
- Derby R, Eek, B., Ryan DP. Intradiscal Electrothermal Annuloplasty. Scientific Newsletter of the International Spinal Injection Society. Vol 3:1, July, 1998.
- Derby R, Aprill C, Bogduk N: The Specific Indications for Discography in Patients With Low Back Pain. The Journal of Musculoskeletal Medecine. May 1998.
- Bogduk N, Aprill C, Derby R: Selective nerve root blocks. A chapter in Practical Interventional Radiology of the Musculoskeletal System, by David J. Wilson. Pg 122-132, 1995
- Schwarzer A, Aprill C, Derby R, Fortin J, Kine G, Bogduk N: The Prevalence and Clinical Features of Internal Disc Disruption in Patients with Chronic Low Back Pain. Spine. 20 (17), 1878- 1883, 1995.
- Derby R: The Relationship Between Intradiscal Pressure and Pain Provocation During Discography. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 19(1):59-60, 1995.
- Bogduk, N., C. April, and R. Derby, Discography, in Spine Care. Diagnosis and Conservative Treatment, A. White and J. Schofferman, A., Editors. 1995, Mosby Co,: St. Louis,. p. 219-236
- Bogduk N, Aprill C, Derby R: Diagnostic Blocks of Spinal Synovial Joints. Spine Care. C.V. Mosby Co., 1995.
- Bogduk N, Aprill C, Derby R: Epidural Steroid Injections. Spine Care. C.V. Mosby Co., 1995.
- Weinstein S, Herring S, Derby R: Contemporary Concepts in Spine Care: Epidural Steroid Injection. Spine 20(16):1842-1846, August 1995.
- Schwarzer A, Aprill C, Derby R, Fortin J, Kine G, Bogduk N: The Value of the Provocation Response in Zygapophysial Joint Injections. The Clinical Journal of Pain. 10 (4), 309-313, 1994.
- Schwarzer A, Aprill C, Derby R, Fortin J, Kine G, Bogduk N: The False-Positive Rate of Uncontrolled Diagnostic Blocks of the Lumbar Zygapophysial Joints. Pain 1994.
- Schwarzer A, Derby R, Aprill C, Fortin J, Kine G, Bogduk N: Pain from the Lumbar Zygapophysial Joints: A Test of Two Models. Journal of Spinal Disorders 7(4):331-335, August 1994.
- Schwarzer A, Aprill C, Derby R, Fortin J, Kine G, Bogduk N: The Relative Contributions of the Disc and Zygapophysial Joint in Chronic Low Back Pain. Spine 19(7):801-806, April 1994.
- Bogduk N, Aprill C, Derby R: Zygapophysial Joint Pain: Diagnostic Blocks and Therapy. Interventional Radiology of the Skeletal System. Edited by D. Wilson. Edward Arnold, London, 1993.
- Schwarzer A, Derby R, Kine G: The Clinical Features of Patients with Pain Stemming from the Lumbar Zygapophysial Joints: Is the Lumbar Facet Syndrome a Clinical Entity? Spine 19:1132-1137, 1994.
- Derby R, Bogduk N, Anat D, Kine G: Precision Percutaneous Blocking Procedures for Localizing Spine Pain. Part 2. Pain Digest 3:175-178, 1993.
- Derby R, Bogduk N, Anat D, Schwarzer A: Precision Percutaneous Blocking Procedures for Localizing Spine Pain. Part 1: The Posterior Lumbar Compartment. Pain Digest 3:89-100, 1993.
- Derby R, Kine G, Schwarzer, A: Pain Provocation in Normal Nucleograms During Discography. Prevalence and Relationship to Intradiscal Pressure. Scientific Newsletter of the International Spinal Injection Society. Vol 1:6, September, 1993.
- Derby R: Lumbar Discometry. Scientific Newsletter of the International Spinal Injection Society. Vol 1:5, September, 1993.
- Derby R, Kine G, Saal J, Reynolds J, Goldthwaite N, White AH, Hsu K, Zucherman J: Response to Steroid and Duration of Radicular Pain as Predictors of Surgical Outcome. Spine 17(6S):S176-S183, June 1992.
- Derby R: Selective Spinal Injections can Help Determine Organic Sites of Lower Back Pain. Internal Medicine News, May 1992.
- Derby R: Comment on "The Needle and the Brain." The Clinical Journal of Pain 7(3):248-249, July 1991.
- Hsu K, Derby R, Zucherman J, Picetti G, Kaiser J, Schofferman J, Goldthwaite N, White AH: Normal Magnetic Resonance Imaging with Abnormal Discography. Spine 13(12):55, August 1988.
- Derby R: Diagnostic Block Procedures. Spine 1(1):47-64, September 1986.
Articles Written by Richard Derby, MD
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.