About Paul A. Glazer, MD
Dr. Paul A. Glazer is a board-certified fellowship-trained Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
Dr. Glazer completed an internship in general surgery at St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center and residency in orthopaedic surgery at Orthopaedic Hospital, Columbia University both in New York, NY. His residency included Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children in Springfield, MA. He completed fellowships in research at the New York Orthopaedic Hospital Research Laboratory, New York, NY and in spinal surgery at the University of California at San Francisco, CA.
Dr. Glazer is an active member of several spine societies, including the International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine, North American Spine Society, Scoliosis Research Society, and American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Further, Dr. Glazer's research interests include the evaluation of methods to attain spinal fusion. He has published several articles on the biomechanical stability of instrumentation.
1. Stolzenberg A, Glazer PA, Foxman B: Structural reactivity and electrochemistry of free base B-oxoporphyrins and metallo-B-oxoporphyrins. Inorganic Chemistry, 25:983-91, 1986
2. Dudek EP, Glazer PA, Kao A, Morissea D, Dudek G: Triphenylborate salts of some tridentate chelates of nickel (II). Inorganica Chimica Acta, 129 (2):149-52, 1987
3. Cascio ML, Glazer PA, Makowski L, Wallace BA: The secondary structure of human amyloid deposits as determined by circular dichroism spectroscopy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 162(3):1162-6, 1989
4. Azzo W, Glazer PA, Saed-Nejad F, Ratcliffe A: The stimulation and inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase activity in articular cartilage. Biochem Soc Trans, 18(5):1022-3, 1990
5. Glazer PA, Rosenwasser MP, Ratcliffe A: The effect of naproxen and interleukin-1 on proteoglycan metabolism and on neutral metalloproteinase activity in normal articular cartilage in vitro. J Clin Pharmacol, 33(2):109-14, 1993
6. Strauch RJ, Rosenwasser MP, Glazer PA: Surgical exposure of the dorsal proximal third of the radius: How vulnerable is the posterior interosseus nerve? J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 5:342-6, 1996
7. Glazer PA, Colliou O, Klisch S, Bradford DS, Bueff UH, Lotz JC: Biomechanical Analysis of Multi-Level Fixation Methods in the Lumbar Spine. Spine, 22(2):171-182, 1997
8. Stevens WR, Glazer PA, Lietman TM, Bradford DS: Ophthalmic complications after spinal surgery, Spine, 22(12):1319-1324, 1997
9. Glazer PA, Heilmann M, Lotz JC, Bradford DS: The use of pulsed electromagnetic fields to enhance spinal arthrodesis: A rabbit model, Spine, 22(20):2351-2356, 1997
10. Buttermann GR, Glazer PA, Hu SS, Bradford DS: Revision of failed lumbar fusions: A comparison of anterior autograft and allograft, Spine, 22(23):2748-2755, 1997
11. Glazer PA, Heilmann M, Lotz JC, Bradford DS: Use of ultrasound in spinal arthrodesis: A rabbit model, Spine, 23(10):1142-1148, 1998
12. Glazer PA, Colliou O, Lotz JC, Bradford DS: Biomechanical analysis of lumbosacral fixation. Spine, 21(10):1211-1222, 1999
13. Nork SE, Hu SS, Workman KL, Glazer PA, Bradford DS: Patient Outcomes after Decompression and Instrumented Posterior Spinal Fusion for Degenerative Spondylolisthesis, Spine, 24(6):561-569, 1999
14. Bozic KJ, Glazer PA, Zuralowski D, Simon BJ, Hayes WC, Lipson SJ: In Vivo Evaluation of Coralline Hydroxyapatite and Direct Current Electrical Stimulation in Lumbar Spine Fusion : A Rabbit Model, Spine, 24(20):2127-33, 1999
15. Kim DH, Glazer PA: Progressive Thoracolumbar Scoliosis Following Breast Reconstruction with a Latissimus Dorsi Flap, Spine, 25(5):622-625, 1999
16. Glazer PA, Spencer UM, Alkalay RN, Schwardt J : The Use of Calcium Sulfate as a Bone Graft Substitute in a Spinal Fusion Model. The Spine Journal, 1:395-401, 2001
17. Buttermann GR, Glazer PA, Hu SS, Bradford DS. Anterior and posterior allografts in symptomatic thoracolumbar deformity. J Spinal Disord. 2001 Feb;14(1):54-66.
18. Glazer PA, Alkalay RN, Kim DH, Urry D: Prevention of Postlaminectomy Epidural Fibrosis Using Bioelastic Materials. Spine, (in press)
19. Glazer PA, Kim YJ: Delayed esophageal perforation and abscess formation after cervical vertebrectomy and fusion for fracture, Orthopedics, Vol 25, No 10, 2002.
20. Glazer PA, Mithoffer K: Intradural herniation of lumbar vertebral disc, Orthopedics, (in press)
Reviews, Chapters, and Editorials
1. Ratcliffe A, Rosenwasser MP, Mahmud F, Glazer PA, Saed-Nejad F, Lane N, Mow VC: The in vivo effect of naproxen on canine experimental osteoarthritic articular cartilage: Composition, metalloproteinase activities and metabolism. Agents and Actions, 39:207-11, 1993
2. Glazer PA, Colliou O, Lotz JC, Bradford DS: Biomechanical analysis of Lumbosacral Fixation. Spinal Frontiers, 2(2)" 7-9, September 1995
3. Hu SS, Glazer PA: Pediatric Spinal Infections. Orthop Clin North Am, Spinal Infection Issue, 27:111-123, 1996
4. Buttermann GR, Glazer PA, Bradford DS: The use of bone allografts in the spine. Clin Orthop, 324:75-85, 1996
5. Glazer PA, Bradford DS: The role of anterior and posterior combined surgery in the treatment of painful degenerative disc disease. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics - Seminars in Spinal Surgery, Publisher W.B. Saunders, Vol 7, No 1 (January), 23-26, 1997
6. Review: Glazer PA: Spinal Instrumentation. Ed2. Cotler HS and Cotler JM (eds), Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 1999, February 2001.
7. Review: Glazer PA: Spine Trauma. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Vol, 81-A, No. 5, p.748, May 1999
8. Review: Glazer PA: Surgical Approaches to the Spine. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Vol. 80-A, No. 4, p. 611, April 1998
9. Bradford DS, Glazer PA: Vertebral Column Resections for Severe Spinal Deformities. In Bridwell KH and DeWalt Rl (eds): The Textbook of Spinal Surgery, 2nd Ed, Philadelphia, JB Lippincott, 1995
10. Glazer PA: The Cervical Spine. In Gates, S (ed): Primary Care for Nurse Practitioners- Management of Musculoskeletal Problems. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, PA. 1998
11. Glazer PA, Clamen LM: Differential Diagnosis and Management Strategies of Low Back Pain. In Aronoff GM (ed.): Evaluation and Treatment of Chronic Pain, 3rd Ed, Baltimore, Williams and Wilkins, 1999
12. Glazer PA, Clamen LM: Surgical Treatment of Low Back Pain. In Warfield, CA (ed.): Manual of Pain Management. 2nd Ed, Philadelphia, JB Lippincott Co. (in Press)
13. Glazer PA, Glazer LC: History and Science of Bone Growth Stimulation for Spinal Fusion. In Corbin,Yuan, Bao, and Boden (eds) Advanced Spinal Surgical Technologies. Quality Medical Publishing (in Press)
Kim S, Alkalay R, Urry D, Glazer PA: Restoration of disc biomechanics with a bioelastic polymer and bioabsorbable screw. International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine, 28th Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2001.
Cook SD, Patron LP, Christakis P, Bailey KJ, Glazer PA. Interbody Fusion Devices in Primates. North American Spine Society, 17th Annual Meeting, Montreal, Canada, 2002.
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.