About Gerard J. Girasole, MD
Gerard J. Girasole, MD is a fellowship-trained, board-certified spine surgeon. He has extensive experience dealing with the surgical treatment of cervical and lumbar disorders of the spine. Also incorporated in his practice are physiatry and physical therapy.
Dr. Girasole is very active with the development of new technology used for minimally invasive spinal procedures and is also involved in clinical trials for the treatment of spinal disorders.
He received his medical degree from New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY. He completed his surgical internship at St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital in New York City and an orthopaedic residency program at the Catholic Medical Center of Brooklyn & Queens, an affiliate of Cornell Medical Center in New York City. Dr. Girasole did his spinal fellowship at the Hospital for Joint Diseases, Orthopaedic Institute, also in New York City.
Dr. Girasole is an active member in many professional societies including: The Academy for Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Medical Association, Fairfield County Medical Association and the North American Spine Society. He has received many awards which include: The New Jersey Orthopaedic Society Award, Chief Resident Presentation Award, and Orthopaedic Alumni Society and also received the Fellowship Award at The Hospital for Joint Disease in 1996.
Dr. Girasole teaches several accredited spine courses and presents at scientific meetings worldwide. He has written chapters on spondylolisthesis and has published several papers that pertain to the treatment of spine disorders.
Dr. Girasole is the author of the book, The 7 Minute Back Pain Solution; 7 simple exercises to heal your back without drugs or surgery in just minutes a day.
- Investigational Prospective Study with Sofamor Danek using Osteophil BMP Substitute in Posterior Spinal Fusion. 1999
- Investigational Prospective Study with Surgical Dynamics "Anterior Interbody Fusion using the RAY Threaded Fusion Cage, Through a Minimally Invasive Approach". 1998
- Girasole, G.J., M.D., Spivak, J.M., M.D., Mokovich, R., M.D., Chen, D., M.D., C1-2 Lateral Mass Anatomy: Implication for Transarticular Screw Fixation with Varying Subluxation. Presented at the 1996 Cervical Research Society Meeting.
- Girasole, G.J., M.D., Klein, J., Shonenberg, N., Bash, J., Garfin, S., Surgically Relevant Periapical Odontoid Anatomy Reviewed Using MRI.
- Pereira, D.S., Girasole, G.J., M.D., Frenkel, S.R., Spivak, J.M.: Evaluation of Grafton for Enhancement of Spinal Fusion in a Canine Model. Hospital for Joint Diseases orthopaedic Institute, NY, NY. Presented at the 1997 AAOS meeting in San Francisco.
- Girasole, G.J., O'Connor, D., Cuomo, F., Denton, J.R., Ernest, A.: Diagnosis of Deep Vein thrombosis in Elderly Hip Fracture Patients Using the Duplex Scanning Technique Orthopaedic Review Vol. (23) Number 5, May 1994.
- Girasole, G.J., Kuflik, P.: Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis. Orthopaedic Comprehensive Study Guide. McGraw Hill, Spring 1997.
Articles Written by Gerard J. Girasole, MD
Case Studies Presented by Gerard J. Girasole, MD
Articles Reviewed by Gerard J. Girasole, MD
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.