About Daniel J. Mazanec, MD
Associated with the Cleveland Clinic since 1981, Dr. Mazanec has served as Associate Director of the Center for the Spine since 1991, and as Medical Director for the Cleveland Clinic Health System's Center for Corporate Health since 1996. He holds joint appointments in the Department of Rheumatic and Immunologic Disease and in the Center for the Spine. Further, Dr. Mazanec is Assistant Clinical Professor in General Medicine at Case Western Reserve University and Assistant Professor at Ohio State University's College of Medicine.
Following a medical degree at the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Dr. Mazanec completed an internship in Internal Medicine at The Strong Memorial Hospital, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, where he also completed his residency. He then completed a Special Fellowship in Rheumatic and Immunologic Disease at the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Mazanec's specialty interests include evaluation and management of back pain, osteoporosis and bone disease and adult rheumatology.
Dr. Mazanec is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, American College of Rheumatology and American Academy of Disability Evaluation Physicians. He is also a member of the North American Spine Society. Currently, he is a member of the Advanced Practice (Nurses) Advisory Committee and the IH Page Center Outcomes Research Committee. In addition, he is a member of the Associate Editorial Board for The Spine Journal.
As an author, Dr. Mazanec's work includes more than 45 peer-reviewed publications.
1. Clough JD, Getzy D, Calabrese LH, Frank S, Mazanec DJ: Immune complexes and immunoregulation. Immunoregulation and Autoimmunity, 1980.
2. Mazanec DJ: Pregnancy and Hodgkin's disease. Letter to the Editor. Ann Intern Med 96:531, 1982.
3. Mazanec DJ: First year of a rheumatologist in private practice. Letter to the Editor. Arthritis Rheum 24:718-9, 1982.
4. Mazanec DJ: Eosinophilic fasciitis and pernicious anemia with thyroid antibodies. J Rheumatol 9:742-3, 1982.
5. Mazanec DJ: Hypothyroidism and eosinophilic fasciitis (reply to the editor). J Rheumatol 11(1):1101, 1984.
6. Wilke WS, Segal AM, Calabrese LH, Mackenzie AH, Scheetz RJ, White CS, Mazanec DJ, Clough JD: 24 week double-blind crossover study of methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Res 33(4)(abstr):884A, 1985.
7. Mazanec DJ, Segal AM, Mackenzie AH, Et Al: Oral chrysotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis: auranofin. Cleve Clin Q 52:123-8, 1985.
8. Mazanec DJ, et al: Oral chrysotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis. Orthop Rheumatol Digest 4(abstr):9-10, 1986.
9. Segal AM, Koo AP, Mazanec DJ, Calabrese LH, et al: Twenty year experience of methotrexate (MTX) toxicity in rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Arthritis Rheum 30(4)(abstr):S59, 1987.
10. Biro JA, Segal AM, Mackenzie AH, Mazanec DJ, Wilke WS: The combination of methotrexate (MTX) and azathioprine (AZA) for resistant rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Arthritis Rheum 30(4)(abstr): S18, 1987.
11. Dustoor MM, McInerney MM, Mazanec DJ, Cathcart MK: Abnormal lymphocyte function in scleroderma: a study on identical twins. Clin Immunol Immunopathol 44:20-30, 1987.
12. Mazanec DJ: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug therapy: clinical use in a high risk group - the elderly. Cleve Clin J Med 55(5):419-25, 1988.
13. Mazanec DJ, Grisanti JM: Drug induced osteoporosis. Cleve Clin J Med 56(3):297-302, 1989.
14. Krall PL, Mazanec DJ, Wilke Ws: Methotrexate for corticosteroid-resistant polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis. Cleve Clin J Med 56(3):253-7, 1989.
15. Wilke WS, Kremer JM, Mackenzie AH, Segal AM, Mazanec DJ, Koo AP, Calabrese LH, Scheetz RJ, White CS, Clough JD: Methotrexate and rheumatoid arthritis. Letter to the Editor. Ann Intern Med 110(1): 87-9, 1989.
16. Helm TN, Mazanec DJ: Disseminated aspergillosis presenting as a subcutaneous abscess. Cleve Clin J Med 57(1):92-4, 1990.
17. Mazanec DJ: Polyarticular arthritis, In: Contemporary Internal Medicine, Clinic Case Studies, Vol 9. Bowen J, Mazzaferri EL (eds); New York, Plenum, 1989, pp. 34-5.
18. Gierl AM, Bauer TW, Mazanec DJ, Stulberg BN: Increased bone turnover in osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 33(9)(abstr):552, 1990.
19. Mazanec DJ: Low back pain syndromes. In: Diagnostic Strategies for Common Medical Problems. Panzer RJ, Black ER, Griner PF (eds); American College of Physicians, 1991, 325-36.
20. Kantor SM, Mazanec DJ, Griner PF: Systemic lupus erythematosus. In: Diagnostic Strategies for Common Medical Problems. Panzer RJ, Black ER, Griner PR (eds); American College of Physicians, 1991, 337-46.
21. Mazanec DJ: Management of rheumatic syndromes in the elderly: a conservative approach. Geriatrics 46:41-5, 1991.
22. Wilke W, Krall P, Scheetz R, Babiak T, Danao T, Mazanec D, Segal A, Clough J: Methotrexate for systemic lupus erythematosus: a retrospective analysis of 17 unselected cases. Clin Exper Rheumatol 9:581-7, 1991.
23. Stewart KA, Mazanec DJ: Intravenous pulse cyclophosphamide for kidney disease in relapsing polychondritis. Letter to the Editor. J Rheumatol 19:498-9, March 1992.
24. Mazanec DJ, Browning K: Incidence of sleep impairment in back pain. International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine (abstr), May 1992.
25. Sweeney TJ, Mazanec DJ, Wilke WS: Methotrexate in the treatment of Wegener's granulomatosis. Arthritis Rheum 24(suppl):T31, 1992.
26. Mazanec DJ: Musculoskeletal and neurologic disorders. In: Clinical Preventive Medicine. Lang R and Matzen R (eds); Mosby Yearbook, St. Louis, 1993.
27. Mazanec DJ, Segal AM, and Sinks PB: Identification of Malignancy in Patients Presenting with Back Pain: Red Flags. (abstr), Arthritis Rheum 36:S251, 1993.
28. Mazanec, DJ: Differential diagnosis of low back pain and sciatica. Sem Spine Surg 6:180-185, 1994.
29. Schofferman J, Mazanec DJ: The use of medications for spinal pain. Position statement from the Nonoperative Care Committee of the North American Spine Society. 1994.
30. Mazanec D, Segal A, Sinks P: Predicting psychosocial issues in fibromyalgia patients: non-organic physical signs of Waddell. Are post-traumatic patients different? (abstr) Arthritis Rheum 37:S349, 1994.
31. Segal AM, Mazanec DJ, Sinks PB, Gaughan E: Lumbar canal stenosis: a non-surgical treatment paradigm. (abstr) Arthritis Rheum S239, 1994.
32. Modic MT, Ross JS, Obuchowski NA, Browning KH, Cianflocco AJ, Mazanec DJ: Contrast-enhanced MR Imaging in Acute Lumbar Radiculopathy: A Pilot Study of the Natural History. Radiology 195, 1995.
33. Mazanec DJ: Back pain: medical evaluation and therapy. Cleve Clin J Med 62:163-168, 1995.
34. Mazanec DJ. Pharmacology of corticosteroids in synovial joints. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America 6: 1995.
35. Mazanec DJ: Recognizing malignancy in patients with low back pain. J Musculoskeletal Medicine 13(1): 24-32, 1996.
36. Mazanec DJ: The injured worker: assessing "return to work" status. Cleve Clinic J Med, 63(3), pp 166-171, March, 1996.
37. Mazanec DJ, Segal AM, Drucker Y, Sinks PB, Trimble MB, Golden JR: Measuring Treatment Outcome in Lumbar Canal Stenosis (LCS). Arthritis and Rheumatism 39(9): S133, #638, 1996.
38. Mazanec DJ, Segal AM, Drucker Y, Sinks PB, Trimble MB, Golden JR: Symptomatic Lumbar Canal Stenosis (LCS): A Nonoperative Management Outcome Trial. Arthritis and Rheumatism 39(9): S133, #639, 1996.
39. Mazanec DJ. Pseudospine pain: Conditions that mimic spine pain. in The Low Back Pain Handbook: A Practical Guide for the Primary Care Physician. Cole A., Herring S. (eds) Hanley and Belfus, Inc., Philadelphia, 1997.
40. Mazanec DJ, Drucker Y, Segal AM: Lumbar Canal Stenosis: Nonoperative Approaches to Treatment. Clinical Rheumatology. J. Clin. Rheum. 3:89-94, 1997.
41. Mazanec DJ, Segal AM, Sinks PB, Trimble MB: Non-organic signs of Waddell and Low Back Pain (LBP): Correlation with Workers' Compensation (WC) status in self-assessed disability. Arthritis and Rheumatism 40: S138, 1997.
42. Mazanec DJ: Low back pain: Living with ambiguity. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. Vol. 64, No. 8, pp. 407-410. Sept. 1997.
43. Mazanec DJ. Medication Use in Sports Rehabilitation in Functional Rehabilitation of Sports and Musculoskeletal Injuries. Kibler WB, Herring SA, Press JM, Lee PA (eds). Aspen Publishers, Gaithersburg, MD 1998.
44. Mazanec, DJ. Evaluation of Spinal Pain in the Elderly. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, pp 89-99. February, 1999.
45. Mazanec, DJ. Low Back Pain Syndromes in Diagnostic Strategies for Common Medical Problems, Second Edition. Black ER, Bordley DR, Tape TG, and Panzer RJ (eds). American College of Physicians, Philadelphia, PA 1999.
46. Mazanec, DJ and Kantor, SM. Systemic Lupus Erythematosis in Diagnostic Strategies for Common Medical Problems, Second Edition. Black ER, Bordley DR, Tape TG, and Panzer RJ (eds). American College of Physicians, Philadelphia, PA 1999.
47. Mazanec, DJ. Diagnois and Management of Low Back Pain in Older Adults. Clinical Geriatrics, Vol. 8, No.13, pp. 63-71, December, 2000.
1. Mazanec DJ, Scherbel AL: Eosinophilic fasciitis: Report of four cases emphasizing immunologic abnormalities. Presented at the Annual Meeting, September 15, 1979.
2. Johnson NT, Mazanec DJ, Segal AM, et al: Stress radionuclide ventriculography to detect subclinical impaired LV function in SLE Abstract presented at 28th Annual AOA/NOF Research Conference.
3. Mazanec DJ, Segal AM, Krall PA, Johnson NT: Subclinical cardiomyopathy in systemic lupus erythematosus: assessment by stress radionuclide ventriculography. Abstract presented at First International Conference on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 1986.
4. Krall PL, Mazanec DJ, Wilke WS: Methotrexate (MTX) for corticosteroid resistant polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and giant cell arteritis (GCA). Abstract presented at the 1988 American Rheumatism Association Annual Meeting.
5. Wilke WS, Krall PL, Mazanec DJ, et al: Methotrexate (MTX) for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE): steroid-sparing? Abstract presented at the 1988 American Rheumatism Association Meeting.
6. Modic MT, Ross JN, Obuchowski N, Browning K, Cianflocco AJ, Mazanec D: Contrast enhanced MR in acute lumbar radiculopathy. Abstract presented at the 1993 American Society of Neuroradiologists Annual Meeting. Vancouver, BC, Canada.
1. Mazanec DJ: Arthritis of inflammatory bowel disease. Audiodigest Int Med, Vol 27, February 1980.
2. Mazanec DJ: Classic treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Audiodigest Int Med, Vol 29, January 6, 1982.
3. Mazanec DJ: Rheumatoid arthritis. Audiodigest Family Practice, Vol 31(28), July 25, 1983.
4. Mazanec DJ: New approaches to the diagnosis and treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Audiodigest Int Med, Vol 38, March 20, 1991.
5. Mazanec DJ: Systemic lupus erythematosus. Audiodigest Int Med, Vol 38, March 20, 1991.
Articles Written by Daniel J. Mazanec, MD
Articles Reviewed by Daniel J. Mazanec, MD
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.