About Claudio A. Feler, MDDr. Feler is a board-certified neurosurgeon who specializes in pain surgery. He is also an Associate Professor in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Memphis, Tennessee.
Dr. Feler received his medical degree from the University of Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky and completed his internship and residency at the University of Tennessee Center for the Health Sciences in Memphis. To further his medical training, Dr. Feler also completed a fellowship in Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery at Toronto General Hospital in Toronto, Canada. He has been an associate of Semmes-Murphey Neurologic & Spine Institute in Memphis since 1990.
Dr. Feler is a member of many prestigious medical organizations including the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, the International Association for the Study of Pain, the World Society of Stereotactic Neurosurgery, the American Pain Society and the American Academy of Pain Medicine, just to name a few.
He also serves as vice president and board member of the North American Neuromodulation Society as well as editor for numerous professional publications such as Neuromodulation from the International Neuromodulation Society, and Pain Physician from the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians. Dr. Feler also sits on the editorial boards for the Anesthesiology Clinics of North America and Topics in Pain Management.
1. Experimental Brain Research, 1990; 79(2) 427-30. Emson, PC; Shoham,
S; Feler, C; Buss, T; Price, J; Wilson, CJ. "The Use of a Retroviral Vector
to Identify Foetal Striatal Neurones Transplanted into the Adult Striatum."
2. Progress in Brain Research, 1990; 82(4)17-26. Wilson, CJ; XU, ZC;
Emson, PC, Feler, C. "Anatomical and Physiological Properties of the Cortical
and Thalamic Innervations of Neostriatal Tissue Grafts."
3. Journal of Neurosurgery, 1993; Vol. 78 (2), 226. Coffey, RJ, Cahill,
D., Steers, W., Park, TS, Ordia, J., Herman, R., Shetter, AG, Levy, R., Gill,
B., Smith, R., Wilberger, J., Loeser, JD, Chabal, C., Feler, CA, Robertson,
JT, Penn, RD, Clarke, A., Burchiel, KJ, Leibrock, LG, Journal of Neurosurgery,
"Intrathecal Baclofen for Intractable Spasticity of Spinal Origin: Results of
a Long-term Multicenter Study."
4. Journal of Tennessee Medical Association, 1993; Vol 86 (7), Brodkey,
JA; Feler, CA, "Hypotension Following a Trial Intrathecal Dose of Baclofen".
5. Critical Care Medicine, 23(1):A78(1995), Bradley A. Boucher, Alan
R. Kugler, Mary M. Hess, and Claudio Feler, "Pharmacokinetics of Fosphenytoin,
a Phenytoin Prodrug, Following Intramuscular Administration in Critically Ill
6. Pharmacotherapy, The Journal of Human Pharmacology and Drug Therapy,
Vol. 16(4), Jul/Aug 1996, Boucher, B; Feler, CA; Dean, JC; Michie, DD; Tipton,
BK; Smith, KR; Kramer, RE; Young, B; Parks, BR; Kugler, AR. "The Safety, Tolerability,
and Pharmacokinetics of Fosphenytoin after Intramuscular and Intravenous Administration
in Neurosurgery Patients."
7. Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, Vol. 37, No. 2, February 1997,
McKindley DS, Boucher BA, Hess MM, Rodman JH, Feler C, Fabian CT, "Effect of
Acute Phase Response on Phenytoin Metabolism in Neurotrauma Patients."
8. Neuromodulation, Journal of the International Neuromodulation Society,
Vol. 2, No. 1, Jan. 1999, Alo, K; Yland, Marc; Redko, Vladimir; Feler, Claudio;
Naumann, Claus, "Lumbar and Sacral Nerve Root Stimulation (NRS) in the Treatment
of Chronic Pain: A Novel Anatomic Approach and Neuro Stimulation Technique."
9. Neuromodulation, Journal of the International Neuromodulation Society,
Vol. 2, No. 3, July 1999, Bennett, Daniel; Alo, Kenneth; Oakley, John; Feler,
Claudio, "Spinal Cord Stimulation for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome I (RSD);
a Retrospective Multicenter Experience from 1995 to 1998 of 101 Patients."
10. Neuromodulation, Journal of the International Neuromodulation Society,
Vol. 2, No. 3., July 1999, Feler, Claudio; Whitworth, Louis; Brookoff, Daniel;
Powell, Rebecca, "Recent Advances: Sacral Nerve Root Stimulation Using a Retrograde
Method of Lead Insertion for the Treatment of Pelvic Pain due to Interstitial
11. Neuromodulation, Journal of the International Neuromodulation Society,
Vol. 2, No. 3, July 1999, Alo, Kenneth; Yland, Marc; Feler, Claudio; Oakley,
John, "A Study of Electrode Placement at the Cervical and Upper Thoracic Nerve
Roots Using an Anatomic Trans-Spinal Approach."
12. Pain News, AANS/CNS Section on Pain, Fall 2001, Smith, Mark D.,
MD; Whitworth, L. Anthony, MD; Feler, Claudio, MD; Jones, Timothy, MD, "Inflammatory
Granulomas Associated with Chronic Intrathecal Opioid Infusion."
13. Neuromodulation, Journal of the International Neuromodulation Society,
Vol. 5, No. 1, January 2002, Michael, Madison, M.D., Whitworth, Louis A., M.D.,
Feler, Claudio A., "Spina Bifida Occulta as a Relative Contraindication for
Percutaneous Retrograde Lead Insertion."
14. American Journal of Medicine, Vol., 112, No. 1, January 2002, Timothy
F. Jones, MD, Claudio A. Feler, MD, Bryan P. Simmons, MD, Kelley Melton, RN,
Allen S. Craig, MD, William L. Moore, MD, Mark D. Smith, MD, William Schaffner,
MD, "Neurologic Complications Including Paralysis Following a Medication Error
Involving Implanted Intrathecal Catheters."
15. Spine, Nov. 15, 2002, 27(22) Whitworth, Louis A., MD, Fernandez,
Julius, MD, Feler, Claudio A., MD, "Application of Spinal Ablative Techniques
for the Treatment of Benign Chronic Painful Conditions: History, Methods, and
16. Pain Physician, January 2003, Vol. 6, No. 1, Laxmaiah Manchikanti,
MD, Peter S. Staats, MD, Vijay Singh, MD, David M. Schultz, MD, Bradley D. Vilims,
MD, Joseph F. Jasper, MD, David S. Kloth, MD, Andrea M. Trescot, MD, Hans C.
Hansen, MD, Thomas D. Falasca, DO, Cyrus E. Bakhit, MD, Elmer E. Dunbar, MD,
Sairam L. Atluri, MD, Aaron K. Calodney, MD, Samuel J. Hassenbusch, MD, and
Claudio A. Feler, MD, "Evidence-Based Practice Guidelines for Interventional
Techniques in the Management of Chronic Spinal Pain."
17. Neuromodulation, July 2003, Vol. 6, Whitworth, Louis A., MD and
Feler, Claudio A., "C1-C2 Sublaminar Insertion of Paddle Leads for the Management
of Chronic Painful Conditions of the Upper Extremity."
18. Neuromodulation, October 2003, Vol. 6, No. 4, Fernandez, Julius,
MD, L. Madison Michael, II, MD, Claudio A. Feler, MD, FACS, "Catheter Tip Granuloma
Associated with Sacral Region Intrathecal Drug Administration."
1. Handbook of Head Trauma: From Acute Care to Recovery, Plenum Publishing
Corporation, New York, N.Y., Feler, Claudio A. and Watridge, Clarence B., 1992,
"Initial Management of Head Trauma."
2. Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, Ronald Tasker, M.D., Editor,
Blackwell Scientific Publications Inc., Cambridge, MA, 1996, Feler, Claudio,
"Adrenal Medullary Grafting in Parkinson's Disease."
3. Current Techniques in Neurosurgery, 3rd Edition, Current Science,
Inc., Philadelphia, PA, 1999, Feler, Claudio A., "The Surgical Management of
Greater Occipital Neuralgia."
4. The Cancer Pain Source Book, Contemporary Books, a Division of McGraw-Hill
Publishing Co., Lincolnwood, IL, Roger S. Cicala, M.D., 2001, David Leggett,
M.D. and Feler, Claudio Andres, "Nerve Blocks and Nerve Destruction."
5. The Cancer Pain Source Book, Contemporary Books, a Division of McGraw-Hill
Publishing Co., Lincolnwood, IL, Roger S. Cicala, M.D., 2001, Feler, Claudio
Andres, "Intraspinal Treatments for Cancer Pain."
6. Surgical Management of Pain, Thieme Medical Publishers: Medical Publications,
New York, N.Y., Kim J. Burchiel, M.D., Editor, in press, "Chronic Nonmalignant
Nociceptive Pain Syndromes."
1. Wilson, C.J., Emson, P.C., Feler, C.A., "Electrophysiological Evidence for
the Formation of a Corticospinal Pathway in Neostriatal Tissue Graft". Society
for Neuroscience Abstracts, 1987.
2. Chambers, J.K., Feler, C., Emson, P.C. and Iversen, L.L., "Tachykinin Receptor
Subtypes in the Rat Forebrain," British Journal of Pharmacology, 1987;
3. Dohan, F.C., Robertson, J.T., Feler, C.A., Schweitzer, J., Hall, C., Robertson,
J.H., "Autopsy Findings in a Parkinson's Disease Patient Treated with Adrenal
Medullary to Caudate Nucleus Transplant." Society of Neuroscience Abstracts,
4. Emson, P.C., Shoham, S., Feler, C., Price, J., Wilson, C.J., "The Use of
a Retroviral Vector to Identify Foetal Striatal Neurones Transplanted Into the
Adult Striatum". Society of Neuroscience Abstracts, 1988.
5. J. K. Chambers, C. Feler, P.C. Emson and L.L. Iversen, "Tachykinin Receptor
Subtypes in the Rat Forebrain." MRC Group, Institute of Animal Physiology &
Genetics Research, Babraham, Cambridge, CB2 4AT and Merck, Sharp & Dohme Research
Laboratories, Neuroscience Research Centre, Terlings Park, Eastwick Road, Harlow.
6. F. Curtis Dohan, Jr., M.D., J. B. Schweitzer, M.D., J. T. Robertson, M.D.,
J.C. Hall, M.D., C. A. Feler, M.D., J. H. Robertson, M.D., Memphis, Tennessee,
"A Complete Histopathological Study of a Patient That Died Following Adrenal
Medulla to Caudate Nucleus Autograft," Congress of Neurological Surgeons Program,
September 1988, Seattle, Washington.
7. J. T. Robertson, M.D., C. A. Feler, M.D., J. H. Robertson, M.D., Memphis,
Tennessee, "Adrenal Medulla to Caudate Nucleus Autograft, a Report of Seven
Patients," Congress of Neurological Surgeons Program, September 1988, Seattle,
8. Feler, CA, and Kaufman, S, "Spinal Cord Stimulation: One Stage?" Acta
Neurochirurgica, Vol. 117, Fasc. 1-2, 1992.
9. Feler, CA, and Hunter, SE, "Use of a Totally Implantable Multichannel Electronic
System for Deep Brain Stimulation," Acta Neurochirurgica, Vol. 117, Fasc.
10. Feler, CA, Fine, PG, Cherry, DA, Semmes-Murphey Clinic, Univ. of Tennessee,
Memphis, TN 38103, USA, Univ. of Utah Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT 841132
USA, Flinders Medical Center, Adelaide SA 50655 Australia, "The Patient Activated
Reservoir (PAR) - A Novel Way for Treating Pain in Cancer Patients", International
Association for the Study of Pain, Paris France, August 22-27, 1993.
11. Woodmansee, L, Feler, CA, Semmes-Murphey Clinic, The Univ. of Tennessee,
Memphis, "The Cost Effectiveness of Single Stage Spinal Cord Stimulation", International
Association for the Study of Pain, Paris, France, August 22-27, 1993.
12. Atkins, K, Anton, M, Feler, CA, Semmes-Murphey Clinic, The University of
Tennessee, Memphis, "Psychological Factors in Patient Selection and Outcome
for Dorsal Column Stimulation", International Association for The Study of Pain,
Paris, France, August 25, 1993.
13. Whitworth, Louis A., Feler, Claudio A., Semmes-Murphey Clinic, The University
of Tennessee, Memphis, "C1-C2 Sublaminar Insertion of Paddle Leads for the Management
of Chronic Painful Conditions of the Upper Extremity", The 9the World Congress:
The Pain Clinic, San Francisco, CA, July 15-21, 2000.
14. Wolf, E, Atkins, K, Anton, M, Feler, CA, "Psychosocial Predictors of Outcome
in Dorsal Column Stimulation for Intractable Pain", American Society for Stereotactic
and Functional Neurosurgery, Marina del Rey, CA, March 8-11, 1995.
Articles Reviewed by Claudio A. Feler, MD
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.