Tim Yoon, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedics
Emory University School of Medicine
Dr. Tim Yoon is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who joined The Emory Clinic in 2000. He received his BS from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and his MD and PhD from Yale University. He was an orthopaedic resident at the University of California at San Francisco and then completed a spine surgery fellowship with Howard An, MD and Ronald DeWald, MD at RUSH Presbyterian St. Luke's Medical Center in Chicago. Dr. Yoon then became an Assistant Professor at Emory and the Chief of Orthopaedics at the Veterans Administration Medical Center at Atlanta.
Dr. Yoon has lectured and presented his research in numerous national and international meetings. He is an active member of the North American Spine Society and Orthopaedic Research Society. He has recently won the Prize for Outstanding Research from the International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine for his work on gene therapy to stimulate intervertebral disc cell metabolism. He has authored and co-authored many research papers in leading spine journals on topics including lumbar spine mechanics, methods of spinal fixation, and biological methods of stimulating disc cells. He has written numerous book chapters and reviews on when and how to perform spinal surgery. He is on the review board of two leading spine journals.
Dr. Yoon's areas of interest include cervical spinal surgery, spinal fusion surgery, and minimally invasive techniques in spine surgery.
1. Li J, Yoon ST, Hutton WC. Effect of Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 (BMP-2) on Matrix Production, Other BMPs, and BMP Receptors in Rat Intervertebral Disc Cells. J Spinal Disord Tech, 2004 Oct;17(5):423-428.
2. Edwards CC 2nd, Karpitskaya Y, Cha C, Heller JG, Lauryssen C, Yoon ST, Riew KD. Accurate identification of adverse outcomes after cervical spine surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2004 Feb;86-A(2):251-6.
3. Samartzis D, Shen FH, Matthews D, Yoon ST, Goldberg EJ, An HS. Comparison of allograft to autograft in multilevel anterior cervical discectomy and fusion with rigid plate fixation. Spine J, 2003; 3:451-459.
4. Hutton WC, Murakami H, Li J, Elmer WA, Yoon ST, Minamide A, Akamaru T, Tomita K. The effect of blocking a nutritional pathway to the intervertebral disc in the dog model. J Spinal Disord Tech, 2004 Feb;17(1):53-63.
5. Li J, Kim KS, Park JS, Elmer WA, Hutton WC, Yoon ST. BMP-2 and CDMP-2: stimulation of chondrocyte production of proteoglycan. J Orthop Sci, 2003;8(6):829-35.
6. Kim KS; Yoon ST; Park JS; Li J; Park MS; Hutton WC Nicotine Inhibits Proteoglycan And Type II Collagen Synthesis Of Disc Nucleus Cells. Journal of Neurosurgery, 2003 Oct;99(3 Suppl):291-7.
7. Yoon ST, Su Kim K, Li J, Soo Park J, Akamaru T, Elmer WA, Hutton WC. The effect of bone morphogenetic protein-2 on rat intervertebral disc cells in vitro. Spine, 2003 Aug 15;28(16):1773-80.
8. Akamaru T, Kawahara N, Yoon ST, Minamide A, Su Kim K, Tomita K, Hutton WC. Adjacent segment motion after a simulated lumbar fusion in different sagittal alignments: a biomechanical analysis. Spine, 2003 Jul 15;28(14):1560-6.
9. Minamide A, Akamaru T, Yoon ST, Tamaki T, Rhee JM, Hutton WC. Transdiscal L5-S1 screws for the fixation of isthmic spondylolisthesis: a biomechanical evaluation. J Spinal Disord Tech, 2003 Apr;16(2):144-9.
10. Yoon ST. Point of View: The Potential and Limitations of a Cell-Seeded Collagen/Hyaluronan Scaffold to Engineer an Intervertebral Disc-Like Matrix. Spine, 2003 Jan; 28(5):453.
11. Bowen RE; Otsuka NY; Yoon ST; Lang P Osteochondral lesions of the capitellum in pediatric patients: role of magnetic resonance imaging. Jornal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, 2001 May-Jun;21(3):298-301.
12. Wang CS; Steinbach LS; Campbell JB; Hayashi G; Yoon ST; Johnston JO. Fibrogenesis imperfecta ossium: imaging correlation in three new patients. Skeletal Radiology, 1999 Jul, 28(7):390-5.
13. Hong SC; Sant'Angelo DB; Dittel BN; Medzhitov R; Yoon ST; Waterbury PG; Janeway CA Jr. The orientation of a T cell receptor to its MHC class II:peptide ligands. Journal of Immunology, 1997 Nov 1, 159(9):4395-402.
14. Sant'Angelo DB; Waterbury G; Preston-Hurlburt P; Yoon ST; Medzhitov R; Hong SC; Janeway CA Jr. The specificity and orientation of a TCR to its peptide-MHC class II ligands. Immunity, 1996 Apr, 4(4):367-76.
15. Yoon ST; Dianzani U; Bottomly K; Janeway CA Jr. Both high and low avidity antibodies to the T cell receptor can have agonist or antagonist activity. Immunity, 1994 Oct, 1(7):563-9.
16. Hong SC, Yoon ST, Janeway CA et al. The amino terminal portion of the T-cell receptor -chain affect the fine specificity of MHC recognition. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, March 5, 1992, p33.
1. Yoon ST, Boden SD. Spine fusion by gene therapy. Gene Ther, 2004 Feb;11(4):360-7. PMID: 14724678.
2. Yoon ST. The potential of gene therapy for the treatment of disc degeneration. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. In Press.
3. Yoon ST. BMP and Cervical Spine Fusion. Current Opinion in Orthopaedics, Volume 12, Issue 3. June 2001.
4. Yoon ST and Boden S. Osteoinductive Cytokines in Orthopaedics: Basic Science and Preclinical Studies. Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research. 2002 Feb; (395):33-43.
1. Yoon ST. Inducing Spine Fusion with Osteoinductive Molecules. Degenerative Disc Disease Symposium, 2002.
2. Yoon ST. "Gene Therapy Approach for the Treatment of Disc Degeneration". Degenerative Disc Disease Symposium, 2002.
3. Tortolani JP and Yoon ST. "Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy". Frymoyer: Textbook of Adult Spine Surgery. Submitted.
4. Yoon ST and Boden SD. "Disc degeneration models". Advanced Spinal Surgery Technologies. Editor - Terry Corbin QMP.
5. Yoon ST and An HS. "Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease". Principles and Practice of Spine Surgery. Editor - Alexander R. Vaccaro, MD, Saunders.
6. Yoon ST and An HS. "Complications of anterior scoliosis surgery in adult idiopathic". Modern Anterior Scoliosis Surgery (MASS). Editor - Lawrence G. Lenke, MD QMP.
7. Yoon ST and Hu SS. "Complications in spinal surgery". Principles of Orthopedic Medicine and Surgery. Section Editor - Steven Garffin, MD, Saunders (June 2001).
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.