About Daniel J. Sucato, MD
Dr. Dan Sucato has been on staff at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children since completing the Dorothy and Bryant Edwards Fellowship in Pediatric Orthopaedics and Scoliosis at TSRHC in 1998.
He graduated magna cum laude from Canisius College in Buffalo, NY. Dr. Sucato received his medical degree (magna cum laude) and a Master of Science degree in biophysics from Buffalo School of medicine, State University of New York, where he also completed his general surgery internship, orthopaedic surgery residency and basic science research fellowship.
He served as one of three International Traveling Fellows for the Scoliosis Research Society in 2003. During this three-week fellowship, Dr. Sucato delivered research presentations, studied and discussed landmark cases, observed surgeries at centers throughout Europe and collaborated with international spine experts.
Dr. Sucato is widely published in the area of spinal deformity and has delivered dozens of presentations worldwide. His interests are spinal deformity; thoracoscopic approaches to the spine; hip conditions; adolescent hip dysplasia and its treatment with the Ganz periacetabular osteotomy.
He is an assistant professor in the department of orthopaedic surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and is an active staff member at Children's Medical Center of Dallas.
Dr. Sucato is also a member of the American Medical Association; the Texas Medical Association; the Scoliosis Research Society; the North American Spine Society; the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America; and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Dr. Sucato is a consultant reviewer for Spine, the Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine and the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.
1. Allen HJ, Karakousis C, Piver JS, Gamarra M, Nava H, Forsyth B, Matecki B, Allayar J, Sucato D, Kisailus EC, DiCioccio R. Galactoside-binding lectin in human tissues. Tumor Biology 8: 218-229, 1987.
2. Allen HJ, Sucato D, Wojnarwoski B, Gottstine S. Role of galaptin in ovarian carcinoma adhesion to extracellular matrix in vitro. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, 43-57, 1990.
3. Allen HJ, Sucato D, Gottstine S, Kisailus E, Nava H, Petrelli N, Castillo N, Wilson D. Localization of endogenous Beta-galactoside-binding lectin in human cells and tissues. Tumor Biology 12: 52-60, 1991.
4. Sucato DJ, Krackow KA. Dislocation of the peroneal tendons. Surgical treatment. Journal of Orthopaedic Techniques 3: 91-101, 1995.
5. Sucato DJ, Gillespie R. Salmonella pelvic osteomyelitis in normal children: Report of two cases and a review of the literature. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 17: 463-466, 1997.
6. Sucato DJ, Schwend R, Gillespie R. Septic arthritis of the hip in children. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 5(5): 249-260, 1997.
7. Bone LB, Sucato D, Stegemann PM, Rohrbacher BJ. Displaced isolated fractures of the tibial shaft treated with either a cast or intramedullary nailing. An outcome of matched pairs of patients. J Bone Joint Surgery 79-A: 1336-1341, 1997.
8. Sucato DJ, Johnston CE II, Birch JG, Herring JA, Mack P. Outcome of ultrasonographic hip abnormalities in clinically stable hips. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 19(6): 754-759, 1999.
9. Sucato DJ, Rougraff B, McGrath BE, Sizinski J, Davis M, Papandonatos G, Green D, Szarzanowicz T, Mindell ER. Ewing's sarcoma of the pelvis. Long-term survival and functional outcome. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 373: 193-201, 2000.
10. Sucato DJ, Girgis M. Bilateral pneumothoraces, pneumomediastinum, pneumoperitoneum, pneumoretroperitoneum and subcutaneous emphysema following intubation with a double lumen tube for thoracoscopic anterior spinal release and fusion in a patient with idiopathic scoliosis. Journal of Spinal Disorders 15: 133-138, 2002.
11. Sucato DJ, Welch RD, Pierce B, Zhang H, Haideri N, Bronson D. Thoracoscopic discectomy and fusion in an animal model: Safe and effective when segmental blood vessels are spared. Spine 27(8) 880-886, 2002.
12. Richards BS, Sucato D, Konigsberg DE, Ouellet JA. Comparison of Reliability Between the Lenke and King Classification Systems for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Using Radiographs That Were Not Premeasured. Spine 28(11) 1148-57, 2003.
13. Sucato DJ, Duchene C. The position of the aorta relative to the spine: A comparison of patients with and without idiopathic scoliosis. J Bone Joint Surgery 85-A(8):1461-1469, 2003.
14. Sucato DJ. Thoracoscopic Anterior Instrumentation and Fusion for Idiopathic Scoliosis. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 11(4): 221-227, 2003.
15. Sucato DJ, Elerson E. A comparison between the prone and lateral position for performing a thoracoscopic anterior release and fusion for pediatric spinal deformity. Spine 28 (18): 2176-2180, 2003.
16. Sanders JO, Polly DW, Cats-Baril W, Jones J, Lenke LG, O'Brien MF, Richards BS, Sucato DJ, and Members of the AIS Section of the Spinal Deformity Study Group. Analysis of Patient and Parent Assessment of Deformity in Idiopathic Scoliosis Using the Walter Reed Visual Assessment Scale. Spine 28 (18): 2158-2163, 2003.
17. Sucato DJ, Kassab F, Dempsey, M. Analysis of Screw Placement Relative to the Aorta and Spinal Canal Following Anterior Spinal Instrumentation and Fusion for Idiopathic Scoliosis. Spine 5: 554-559, 2004.
18. Zhang H, Sucato DJ, Welch RD. Anterior Vertebral Body Screw Position Placed Thoracoscopically: A function of Anatomy and Surgeon Experience in a Porcine Model. Spine 29 (7): 815-822, 2004.
19. Sucato DJ, Hedequist D, Karol LA. Operative correction of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis in male patients. A radiographic and functional outcome comparison with female patients. J Bone Joint Surgery, 86-A (9): 2005-14, 2004.
20. Sucato DJ, Hedequist D, Zhang H, Pierce WA, O'Brien S, Welch RD. Recombinant Human Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 Enhances Anterior Spine Fusion in a Thoracoscopically-Instrumented Animal Model. J Bone Joint Surgery 86-A (4): 752-762, 2004.
21. Sucato DJ, Kuklo TR, Vaccaro AR, Brown C. 2003 Scoliosis Research Society European Traveling Fellowship Report to the Education Committee. Spine 29(18):1966-1970, 2004.
22. Sucato DJ, Duey-Holtz A, Elerson E, Safavi F. Postoperative Analgesia Following Surgical Correction for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis: A Comparison of Continuous Epidural Analgesia and Patient-Controlled Analgesia. Spine 30(2): 211-217, 2005.
23. Zhang H, Sucato DJ, Welch RD. Recombinant Human Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 Enhanced Anterior Spine Fusion Without Bone Encroachment into the Spinal Canal: A Histomorphometric Study in a Thoracoscopically-Instrumented Porcine Model. Spine (In press March 1, 2005).
24. Sucato DJ, Flohr R. Accurate Preoperative Rod Length Measurement for Thoracoscopic Anterior Instrumentation and Fusion for Idiopathic Scoliosis. Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques (In press 2005).
1. Tachdjian's Pediatric Orthopaedics, from the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children. 3rd Edition. Herring J.A., (ed). W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, September 2001. Contributing author.
2. "Back Pain in Children and Adolescents" in Adult and Pediatric Spine. 3rd Edition. Frymoyer, John, (ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia 2003.
3. "Pediatric Orthopaedics" in Review of Orthopaedics. 3rd Edition. Mark Miller (ed.). W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, March 2004.
4. "Spinal Deformity in Adolescent and Adults" in A Residents' and Fellows' Guide to the Fundamentals of Spine Surgery. Vaccaro, Alexander R. (ed.). Mosby Publishing Company, 2005 (in press).
5. "Pediatric Spinal Deformity", in Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 8-Pediatrics. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2004.
6. "Pediatric Orthopaedics", in Review of Orthopaedics, Fourth Edition. W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 2004.
7. "Thoracoscopic Techniques in Spine Deformities" in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery 2nd Ed. H. Michael Mayer (ed.) Springer-Verlay, Berlin. (In press 2005).
8. "Thoracoscopy" in Decision Making in Spinal Care. Alexander Vaccaro and D. Greg Anderson (eds.) Thieme Medical Publishers, New York. (In press 2005).
9. "Thoracoscopic Release and Fusion in the Prone Position", in Surgery of the Pediatric Spine. Kim, Daniel; Betz, Randall; Huhn, Stephen; Newton, Peter (eds.), Thieme Medical Publishers, New York. (In press 2005).
10. "Anterior Release and Fusion Techniques for Thoracic Scoliosis." in Surgical Anatomy and Techniques of the Spine. Kim, Daniel; Henn, Jeffrey; Dickman, Curtis; Vaccaro, Alexander (eds). Elsevier Inc. Philadelphia (In press 2005).
11. "Anterior Release and Fusion Techniques for Lumbar Scoliosis" in Surgical Anatomy and Techniques of the Spine. Kim, Daniel; Henn, Jeffrey; Dickman, Curtis; Vaccaro, Alexander (eds). Elsevier Inc. Philadelphia (In press 2005).
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.