About John J. Regan, MD
Dr. John Regan, an Orthopaedic Surgeon, is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and the American Board of Internal Medicine. Dr. Regan received his medical training internships from Emory University Affiliated Hospitals in Internal Medicine.
Following the internal medicine internship, Dr. Regan received further training in neurosurgery from Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, NY and orthopaedic surgery at the University of North Carolina. He was a Spine Surgeon Fellow at Johns Hopkins University and a Spine - Trauma Fellow at A.O. International, Switzerland. During his internships, Dr. Regan received awards and grants for research from the American Cancer Society Fellowship, the National Institutes of Health Grant, and the John Hopkins Institutional Grant.
Dr. Regan is a member of many professional societies including: the American Medical Association, American College of Physicians, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, North American Spine Society, Cervical Spine Research Society, Scoliosis Research Society, and the Mid-American Orthopaedic Association.
Formal teaching and international presentations are a large part of Dr. Regan's career; he has given over seventy-five presentations at major medical meetings and institutes. In addition to research and teaching presentations, twenty-two of Dr. Regan's articles appear in peer reviewed publications. Notably, Dr. Regan's commitment to medical education is evident as author of fourteen chapters for medical textbooks.
Peer Review Publications
l. Regan JJ, McAfee PC, Acuff SC: "The Induction of Cardiac Arrhythmia and Hypotension from Spinal Cord Monitoring: A Case Report." Spine. Dec. l986. Pages l03l-l032.
2. McAfee PC, Regan JJ, Bohlman HH: "Spinal Cord Compression from Ossification of the Posterior Longitudinal Ligament in Non-orientals." JBJS (Br). August l987. Pages 569-576.
3. McAfee PC, Regan JJ, Farey ID, Gurr KR, Warden KE: "The Biomechanical and Histomorphometric Properties of Anterior Lumbar Fusion: A Canine Model." Journal of Spinal Disorders. l988. Pages l0l-ll0.
4. Guyer RD, Collier R, Stith WJ, Ohnmeiss DD, Hochschuler SH, Rashbaum RF, Regan JJ: "Discitis After Discography." Spine. December l988. Pages l352-l354.
5. Mack MG, Regan JJ, Bobechko WP, Acuff TE: "Applications of Thoracoscopy for Disease of the Spine." Annals of Thoracic Surgery. Volume 56, 1993. Pages 736-738.
6. Regan JJ, Mack MJ, Picetti GD, Guyer RD, Hockschuler SH, Rashbaum RF: "A Comparison of Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (VATS) with Open Thoracotomy Thoracic Spinal Surgery." Today's Therapeutic Trends. Volume II, Number 4, 1st Quarter, 1994. Pages 203-218.
7. Regan JJ, Mack M, Picetti G: "A Technical Report on Video-Assisted Thoracoscopy in Thoracic Spinal Surgery: Preliminary Description." Spine. Volume 20, Number 7, 1995. Pages 831-837.
8. Mack MJ, Regan JJ, McAfee PC, Picetti G, Ben-Yishay A, Acuff TE: "Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS) for the Anterior Approach to the Thoracic Spine." Annals of Thoracic Surgery, Vol. 59, 1995. Pages 1100-1106.
9. McAfee PC, Regan JJ, Fedder IL, Mack MJ, Geis WP: "Anterior Thoracic Corpectomy for Spinal Cord Decompression Performed Endoscopically." Surgical Laparoscopy and Endoscopy, Vol. 5, No. 5, 1995. Pages 339-348. John J. Regan, M.D. Page Fifteen
10. Regan, John J., Bergey, Darren: "Endoscopic Lateral Transpsoas Lumbar Spine Fusion." Spine. August 2004. Pages 296-305
11. McAfee PC, Regan JJ, Zdeblick T, Zuckerman J, Picetti G, Heim S, Geis WP, Fedder IL: "The Incidence of Complications in Endoscopic Anterior Thoracolumbar Spinal Reconstructive Surgery: A Prospective Multicenter Study Comprising the First 100 Consecutive Cases." Spine, Vol. 20, No. 14, July, 1995. Pages 1624-1632.
12. Regan JJ, Ben-Yishay A, Mack MJ, McAfee PC: "Encouraging Results of VATS Method for TDD." Orthopedic News, Vol. 17, Number 1, January-February, 1995.
13. Regan JJ, Kambin P, Mathews HH, Yuan HA: "Endoscopic Spine Surgery." Neurological Surgery - Expert Exchange 1995.
14. Regan JJ, McAfee PC, Guyer RD, Aronoff RJ. "Laparoscopic Fusion of the Lumbar Spine: A Multicenter series of the first 34 consecutive cases." J Laparoscopy Endoscopy ,Vol. 6, Number 6, 459-466, 1996.
15. Regan JJ, "Percutaneous Endoscopic Thoracic Discectomy." Neurosurgery Clinics of North American, Volume 7, Number 1, January 1996.
16. Regan JJ, Guyer RD. "Endoscopic Techniques in Spinal Surgery." Clinical Orthopedics. Number 335: 122-139. 1997
17. Regan JJ: "Principles of Endoscopic Spine Surgery." Current Orthopaedics, Volume 12 86- 90, 1997
18. Regan JJ, Ben-Yishay, A, Mack, MJ: "Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Excision of Herniated Thoracic Disc: Description of Technique and Preliminary Experience in the First 29 Cases." Journal of Spinal Disorders, Volume 11, Number 3, Pages 183-191. 1998.
19. McAfee PC, Regan JJ, Geis WP, Fedder IL: "Minimally Invasive Anterior Retroperitoneal Approach to the Lumbar Spine - Emphasis on the Lateral BAK." Spine, Volume 23, Number 13, July 1998.
20. Regan JJ: "Principles of Endoscopic Spine Surgery." Current Orthopaedics, Number 12, Pages 86-90, 1998.
21. Regan JJ: "A Prospective Multicenter Cohort Study Evaluating Perioperative in Complications in Open and Laparoscopic Lumbar Fusion Using Threaded Fusion Cages." The Spine. February 15, 1999.
22. Regan JJ: Laparscopic Spine Surgery. Instructional CD-Rom. February, 1999.
23. Regan JJ, Aronoff RJ, Ohmneiss DD, Sengtupa DK: Laparascopic Approach to L4-5 for Interbody Fusion Using BAK Cages: Experience in the First 58 Cases. Spine 24 (20): 2171- 2174, 1999.
24. Dickman C, Rosenthal D, Regan JJ: "Reoperation for Herniated Thoracic Discs." Journal of Neurosurgery (Spine) 2 91: 157-162, 2000.
25. Oskouian,Jr.,R, Johnson, J. Patrick, Regan, John J: "Thorascopic Microdiscectomy." Neurosurgery, Vol. 50, No. 1, January 2002.
26. Anand, Neel, Regan, John J: "Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery for Thoracic Disc Disease." Spine, Volume 27, Number 8, pp 871-879, 2002.
Textbooks and Chapters
1. Regan JJ: "Rationale for Lumbar Spine Fusion." In RD Guyer (ed) SPINE - State of the Art Reviews: Lumbar Disc Disease. Hanley & Belfus, Inc. January l989. Pages ll3-l24.
2. Regan JJ: "Low Back Pain in Runners.": In SH Hochschuler (ed) SPINE - State of the Art Reviews: Spinal Injuries in Sports. Hanley & Belfus, Inc. May l990. Pages 346- 350.
3. Regan JJ: "Low Back Pain in Runners." In SH Hochschuler (ed) The Spine in Sports. Hanley & Belfus, Inc. August l990. Pages lll-ll6.
4. Regan JJ: "Primary Benign Spinal Tumors." In Rehabilitation of the Spine: Science and Practice. C.V. Mosby, St. Louis, Missouri, 1993.
5. Regan JJ (Editor): Cervical Spine Disease. SPINE-State of the Art Review. Hanley & Belfus, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1992.
6. Mack MJ, Regan JJ, Bobechko WP, Acuff TE: "Applications of Thoracoscopy for Diseases of the Spine." Annals of Thoracic Surgery. Volume 56, 1993. Pages 736-738.
7. Regan, JJ, McAfee, PC, Mack MJ: Atlas of Endoscopic Spine Surgery. Quality Medical Publishing, St. Louis, Missouri. July 1995
8. Regan JJ: "Endoscopic Spinal Surgery: Anterior Approaches." In The Adult Spine, Principles and Practice, Second Edition., Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1997. Pages 1665-1684.
9. Regan JJ, McAfee PC: "Thoracoscopy and Laparoscopy of the Spine." In Bridwell KH, - DeWald RL (ed) The Textbook of Spinal Surgery, Second Edition. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1997. Pages 2313-2345.
10. Regan JJ: "Disc Excision by Thoracoscopy." In Thompson RC, Bradford D (ed) Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: The Spine. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1997. Pages 263-278. 3. Regan JJ, McAfee PC:
11. "Thoracoscopy and Laparoscopy of the Spine." In Bridwell KH, -DeWald RL (ed) The Textbook of Spinal Surgery, Second Edition. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1997. Pages 2313-2345.
12. Regan JJ: "Disc Excision by Thoracoscopy." In Thompson RC, Bradford D (ed) Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: The Spine. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1997. Pages 263-278.
13. Regan JJ, Jerome KL: "Thoracoscopy of the Spine." In Herkowitz HN, Garfin SR, Balderston RA, Eismont FJ, Bell GR, Weisel SW (ed) Rothman-Simone. The Spine. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, Pennyslvania. 1998. Pages 597-612.
14. Regan JJ: Laparascopic Spine Surgery. Instructional CD-Rom. February, 1999.
15. Regan JJ: "Minimally Invasive Techniques in Lumbar Spine Surgery." In Vaccaro A, Betz R, Zeidman S (ed) Principles and Practice of Spine Surgery. Mosby, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 2003. Pages 265-273.
16. Vaccaro A, Singh K, Thalgott JS, Giuffre J, Regan JJ: "Minimally Invasive Approaches to the Lumbar Spine" (ed) Principles and Practice of Spine Surgery. Mosby, Philadelphia, PA., 2003 Pages 275-281 John J. Regan, M.D. Page Seventeen.
17. Regan JJ, Lieberman, IH: Atlas of Minimal Access Spine Surgery, 2nd edition. Quality Medical Publishing, St. Louis, Missouri. 2004.
Articles Written by John J. Regan, MD
SpineUniverse, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, SpineUniverse requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.